Sr Project Manager
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join our award-winning God of War team
The Production Team at Santa Monica Studio excels at creative problem solving and communication. We thrive on being at the intersection of people and productivity as the glue that holds the studio together. Whether by being leaders of the craft of project management or partners who will clear the path ahead, the production team is here in service to the studio, to move development forward and achieve quality.
We are looking for an experienced planner and data analyst to join our team as a Senior Project Manager. A Senior Project Manager is relied upon to lead long-term scheduling and scope evaluation efforts to ensure the project is managed on time, to quality and within budget. Responsibilities include partnering with the Lead Producer and Sr Producers to own the creation, maintenance and execution of an overall project plan to determine resource, budget and schedule needs.
Own the creation and maintenance of an overall project schedule throughout all phases of production:
- Craft and maintain a comprehensive project plan, schedule, scope and resource forecast for all disciplines along complex production pipelines
- Track milestone completion status and velocity
- Collaborate with Lead Producer and Sr Producers to balance resources and ensure correct prioritization
- Manage project and resource planning, monitor overall scope and track progress on scheduling issues
Lead overall scheduling, scoping and dependency tracking efforts of the production team through rigorous project planning, analytic thinking and information gathering:
- Gather scheduling data from Sr Producers as they break down large complex initiatives, features and challenges into manageable portions and actionable steps
- Assimilate diverse information and assess the impact on each phase of production and on the project as a whole
- Identify risks in planning and actively collaborate with the Lead Producer and other stakeholders to mitigate
- Ensure a common understanding and agreement on overall project scope and impact of any changes on the schedule
Partner with a wide range of team members to oversee various product development needs:
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with internal development team, primarily partnering with the Lead Producer, Senior Producers and Game Directors
- Oversee relationships with external vendors from a strategic planning and budgetary perspective, partnering with Producers and Leads to ensure appropriate strategy and partnerships are in place
- Monitor and adjust capacity plans to address personnel risk and highlight budgetary impacts
Craft and execute upon a vision for project management best practices for the production team
- Evaluate and assess current processes, pipelines and tools for efficacy and efficiency in serving project and creative goals
- Collaborate with Producers and Tools Engineers to craft and strengthen road mapping, scheduling and tracking methods
- Institute change management processes to communicate, track and measure impact of changes
- Establish and maintain project health measures in collaboration with Lead Producer
Project Management Craftsmanship
- Experience with traditional Waterfall production management techniques along with Agile techniques, including SCRUM or Kanban. PMP or equivalent certification a plus. Certified Scrum Master qualifications also a plus.
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel (creation and maintenance of advanced spreadsheets), JIRA, Confluence and other project tracking and bug database software
- Excellent organizational & prioritization skills, attention to detail, process knowledge and ability to multi-task
Communication & Collaboration
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively across product development and management teams
- Experience working with high performing creative teams and demonstrated ability to partner effectively in a high pressure, collaborative environment
- Proven conflict management skills with a strength in mediation leading to resolution of risk and roadblocks
Education & Experience
- Minimum 7 years of games industry experience in an internal development environment in a production role
- Experience on multiple large scale, 150+ person AAA games through all phases of production from concept to release as a Project Manager or Producer
- Mastery of a variety of project management techniques in an internal development environment coupled with deep experience building and maintaining schedules
- Familiarity with various internal game production pipelines, software and requirements
- Undergraduate college degree or equivalent skill set
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.