Full Stack Engineer
About Roboto Games
Hi! We’re Roboto Games, a minty fresh venture-backed games company. Before this we were leading games at PopCap, EA and Space Ape. And this isn’t our first rodeo/game studio. In 2007 we founded ZipZapPlay, a web and Facebook gaming company (we baked lots of cupcakes while making Baking Life), which we sold to PopCap (zombies also eat cupcakes it turns out) before they sold to EA in 2011. Since then we’ve also contributed to several mobile game hits.
At Roboto, our mission is to bring friends & family together with games that can be played anytime and anywhere. Think of all the issues stopping you from playing video games with your friends or family and think of Roboto Games as the company that’s going to fix them. Our games will run on all the major games platform including the web and mobile. Even if your friends’ play times only align with yours for a few minutes, you’ll have fun playing with them. We want to make playing games with your friends and family a much better experience than it is today.
Our first game, Last Mage Standing, is a free-to-play top down action RPG that is designed to make this vision a reality. We are looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to help us make this game and all our future games amazing. If that sounds like fun, then join us! You should also join us if you like wizards, zombies and skeletons but not necessarily in that order.
All that sounds great you say? What do I need to do? Glad you asked!
- Help make our games, and help make them fun!
- Work full stack across client, server, and backend data services
- Collaborate with other disciplines to define and prioritize features
- Coordinate with other team members to implement gameplay features
- Implement new systems for fast delivery of content to our players
- Architect new features that work across, client, server, and data backend
- Passion for the craft, desire to constantly learn new things and improve the quality of our games
- Strong overall software engineering skills: data structures, algorithms, design patterns, trade-offs of speed vs debt, debugging, performance optimization
- 2 years professional experience as a software engineer in games
- One year experience with Unity
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Live in a time-zone within 4 hours of Pacific Time (San Mateo, California) for team coordination
- Experience and interest in Free To Play games
- Ability to both deliver and receive honest constructive feedback in a professional and open manner
Nice to haves
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- Developed and shipped one cross platform game (web, PC, iOS, Android, Console)
- Programmed multiplayer networked games previously
- Experience scaling multiplayer servers
- Implemented server side data backends for game features, bonus for experience with Firebase
- Shipped one or more Unity titles, extra bonus for shipped mobile titles
Why work at Roboto Games?
- As a member of a small team, you will have an immense impact on our games and the ability to work on full features from server to client.
- Make games that you can play with your friends or with your kids or with your dad. Make games you can play on your phone, on your PC, on your mom’s Chromebook. You get the idea.
- Work alongside game industry game veterans with 12+ years of experience each.
- You will work with a fully remote team and be able to set your own hours (with a minimum of overlap with the team).
- Join our occasional socially distanced, outdoor team gatherings in person or video conference.
- You will also get 4 weeks paid vacation, stock options, 401(k), health benefits, charitable matching. What’s not to like?