Technical Narrative Designer
Remedy Entertainment, the creator of Control®, Quantum Break®, Max Payne®, Alan Wake® and Death Rally®, and one of the leading independent game studios in the world, is now looking for a Technical Narrative Designer for a key role working on Remedy’s projects.
As a Technical Narrative Designer, you will be joining the Narrative Team in the creation of world-class narrative gaming experiences. Working closely with our Narrative Designers, Writers, Gameplay Designers, Programmers and Mission Designers you will ensure the screenplay and key narrative beats are well implemented within the game.
If you like the idea of creating compelling, engaging, and memorable narrative gaming experiences, through designing and scripting key narrative gameplay systems and content, then this job is for you!
- Under the direction of the Narrative Lead, design, prototype and script narrative gameplay systems and content using our proprietary Northlight game engine
- Collaborate with the Narrative Team in developing the game’s story, structure, characters, tone, pacing and world-building with a focus on creating tools and systems to ensure the seamless integration of narrative within the project
- Act as a champion of story, characters, thematic coherence, and narrative through gameplay across the development team
- Work with Mission Designers and other disciplines to implement, support and maintain all narrative content in the game (dialogue, optional content, menu strings, objectives etc.)
- Create and maintain technical documentation related to narrative tools, workflows, and pipelines; ensure best practices are maintained throughout the game’s development
- Debug technical issues related to the implementation of narrative systems and content
- Support the narrative needs of other departments as required
Requirements and qualifications
- Demonstrable previous experience as a Narrative Designer, Level Designer or Gameplay Designer, with a focus on designing and implementing narrative content and/or systems
- Knowledge and experience with scripting languages or visual scripting tools (Lua, Python, Kismet, Blueprints etc.)
- Experience working within 3D level editors (Unreal, Unity, CryEngine etc. or proprietary engines)
- Experience creating clear, understandable design and technical documentation
- Understanding of narrative, game design and visual/cinematic storytelling techniques
- A good sense of timing, pacing and flow
- Self-motivated and proactive, with a dedication to improving your craft and making the best games possible
- Dedicated to contributing towards a friendly and collaborative team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English)
Ideal candidate would also have
- Experience in creating first or third person games
- Strong technical background and experience with programming languages (C#, C++ etc.)
- Experience with localization and/or dialogue pipelines
What is in it for you?
- Above all, you get to work on awesome, unique video games that the global audience is interested in at a studio where your input is valued. We try our hardest to keep our team sizes and the work load sensible, so your contributions feel valuable
- This position is based in Helsinki metropolitan area in Finland, where the quality of life is exceptional and cost of living is affordable. If you're not already in Finland, our relocation service is there every step of the way to take care of you. You can concentrate on work, while we’ll take care of everything else
- You will be offered competitive compensation with a bonus system
- We work hard, but at Remedy we believe in a great work life balance. Happy people work better. In Finland you get up to 5 weeks of paid vacation every year. This is on top of public holidays and other special occasions
To apply, please fill in the application form with your LinkedIn/CV, design portfolio and other information relevant to the position. The position will be filled as soon as a suitable applicant is found.