(Closed) Character Artist
Do you create awesome realistic characters? Are you a talented character artist looking for a new challenge? Do you want to work with a talented art team and help shape the artistic direction for characters in a brand new and exciting IP? Then we have the role for you.
Your role is to produce high quality character models for our and ensure that the integration of the work is in line with the project’s technical constraints and artistic direction.
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
“Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent interactive studios, operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 20 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the soon-to-be released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!”
- Produce high quality character models in their entirety respecting as closely as possible the concept art.
- Read game design documentation to become familiar with character list and understand their actions and psychological aspects in order to create credible characters for the story
- Create additional character assets such as hair, accessories, armour, weapons, etc
- Create Props and hard-surface elements for the purposes of the project
- Provide primary models to programmers so they can integrate them into the engine and test first gameplay intentions.
- Touch-up textures after engine integration to optimize quality
- Deliver clean and optimized low polygon models, and efficient UV layouts according to the project’s technical requirements
- Track and update the progress of day to day tasks using the designated tracking tools
- Communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of own work
- Implement and incorporate feedback from Producer and Leads into work
- Assist with optimisation and debugging to fix the issues raised by tester
- Develop an understanding of project tools and their functions, the project file classification system and the process of updating engine data
- Apply best practices, production pipelines and workflows
- Support the Lead Character Artist in any ad hoc tasks and duties
Skills and Knowledge
Expert knowledge and understanding of:
- 3d software such as 3D Studio Max or Maya
- 3D sculpting packages such as Zbrush or Mudbox
- Photoshop or Substance Painter
- Anatomy and proportions
- Video game development process
- Production pipelines
- Our games engine
You should also:
- Easily Able to develop resolutions to problems
- Able to consider different courses of action and seek guidance when determining the best course of action
- Able to focus oneself to achieve a specific outcome
- Able to apply an understanding of the games industry to improve effectiveness of work
- Able to focus on own professional development and take action to learn
- Able to analyse data and issues whilst generating ideas
- Able to complete work occasional supervision
- Private Medical Insurance: Through Vitality, with the option of including your family. Includes freebies and active rewards as well as comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment.
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cashback on treatment costs from flu jabs to chiropractors. Includes Dental and Vision.
- Income Protection Plan: Financial help if you are unable to work because of illness or injury
- Critical Illness Cover: Financial help if you are diagnosed with a critical illness.
- Life Assurance: Financial security for our loved ones at a difficult time.
- Interest & tax-free loans
- Flexible work hours
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4%, plus 10% of any extra contributions you make.
- Digital Freebies: All Rebellion Steam (and Epic Store) titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries
- Relocation Assistance
- Cycle Scheme
- 2000AD Discounts
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Anti-Crunch Culture
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- 26 Holidays: Increasing with service up to 31, plus bank holidays.