Game Design Lead
Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That's the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we've grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we're constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we've launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we're committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
This role is part of our Track 3 team, which focuses on early development projects with 3D combat, tight feedback loops, and RPG progression elements. As a Game Design Lead on Track 3, you will own the game design discipline across the track, pitch and evaluate new game prototype ideas, and lead the development of early game prototypes in Unity.
What We've Recently Accomplished:
- We shipped two game prototypes with only lightly modified Unity Asset Store art that still hit over 40% D1 retention.
- We shipped several game prototypes that we chose to stop working on, but converted them into reusable iteration platforms that have sped up development of prototypes across the entire company.
What You'll Help Us to Accomplish:
- You'll manage and mentor the game designers on the prototypes team.
- You'll be the product owner of a new game prototype, and support game design work across teams where needed.
- You'll represent game design in strategy meetings to evaluate pitches and drive decisions on allocating headcount.
- Together with the whole Track 3 team, you will help drive the successful worldwide launch of a new game.
What You Bring to The Team:
- You have successfully managed and mentored game designers.
- You can motivate and drive interdisciplinary teams to produce great player-facing experiences.
- You have worked in small teams that created functioning Unity games, and love to get your hands dirty modifying C# scripts to make games do what you want them to.
- You are comfortable with spreadsheets, task tracking software like Trello or Jira, and version control software like Git or Perforce.
- You crave player feedback and data about your games, listen empathetically to it even when it is confusing, and convert it into actionable changes.
- You know the current landscape of mobile combat-based action games.
- You have shipped successful game products in third party marketplaces like the iOS App Store, the Google Play store, Steam, or the Epic Store.
Extra Gems For:
- You know how to make a jump or a punch feel great, and when it doesn't feel great you know why and how to fix it.
- You notice the exact moment that a game's frame-by-frame visceral execution disappoints you, and you can describe what went wrong.
- You can work with artists to design appealing characters that clearly and intuitively communicate their combat abilities to the player.
Read more about what we've been up to!
- Pocket Gems Blog
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.