Game Community Manager
Kongregate is a leading game developer focused on building engaging experiences in breakout game genres. Our mobile games, including collectible card game Animation Throwdown, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Madness, and the wild west themed Idle Frontier, have been downloaded hundreds of millions of times!
With 14 years of history, Kongregate started out small and has grown into a thriving business with over 80 employees across the nation in three main offices: Portland, Chicago, & San Diego. We are a dedicated and efficient team that enjoys making games as much as playing them. We measure our efforts through results rather than hours worked, and value the importance of a work-life/family balance on top of offering competitive pay and benefits. As our portfolio and teams grow, our culture remains built around gaining knowledge through cooperation.
We’re looking for someone to grow and manage the player base around one or more of Kongregate’s most popular games. You’ll be the in-house expert on the community for your assigned titles, working with game teams, Marketing and your fellow Player Experience staff to create fun and engaging experiences for players. While great teamwork is an absolute must, you will still need to structure your time and tasks independently, with weekly 1:1s and as-needed consultation regarding particularly difficult situations.
- Engage, nurture and build a community around your game(s), including the management of help centers and social media.
- Monitor, moderate, and manage forum and Discord activity as needed; posting official updates, changelogs, and other communications from the development team.
- Identify, communicate and consult with developers and producers on community issues and game bugs.
- Compile regular reports with ratings, social metrics, and community feedback as needed.
- Manage a high level social media strategy, including branding and execution, while working within the game’s aesthetics and developer’s vision.
- Create and execute community contests and initiatives.
- Select and manage moderators for Discord, game chat and forums (when moderators are present).
- Advocate for players to producers and developers; develop support strategies for live-servicing errors or crisis situations.
- Identify problems that may develop into issues with game revenue, including player unrest, exploits, technical issues, and other feedback.
- Proficient written communication
- Some college education; degree not required
- Experience working with gamer communities
- Expert knowledge of online game mechanics and community dynamics
- Experience creating and managing social media content
- Proficient ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others
- Proficient ability to manage emotionally-charged disagreements through consensus building, relationship management, and the formation and presentation of logical, data-based arguments
- Proficient project planning skills, including organizing and prioritizing responsibilities in an environment with potentially conflicting priorities
- Ability to remain effective under stress, and respond to pressure in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization
- Ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing priorities with promptness, efficiency and ease
- 401K Plan with company match
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance
- Ample vacation days, PTO, and Paid Family Leave
- Company wide events, game nights, happy hours and more (all of which are currently virtual!)
- Build awesome games with premier IP holders
This position is for our Portland (Oregon) or Chicago (Illinois) offices, but we are open to remote work.
Due to the on-going pandemic, Kongregate is operating as a remote company until further notice. All interviews will be conducted via phone and video calls.
Kongregate is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.