Procedural Tech Artist
Harebrained Schemes is looking for an experienced and versatile tech artist to spearhead the development of our procedural environment tools. You’ll collaborate with the Art Director and HBS team to establish and then advocate for procedurally based environment workflows.
If you are a thoughtful collaborator, with a deep understanding of - and appreciation for - proceduralism and how it can enhance the game play experiences, we’d love to talk with you.
This is an on-site, full-time individual contributor role.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with environment artists, designers, and engineers to create HDA’s that empower the environment creation process.
- Create stylized materials in Substance Designer for use by other environment artists.
- Work with the environment art team to help set standards and practices for the construction of game assets.
- Mentor other artists in procedural workflows.
What You’ll Bring
- You’ve worked on a variety of projects - big or small, indie or 1st party, PC or console or mobile, licensed or new IP, etc. - to understand the breadth of issues you have to anticipate and know that every project is different
- Extensive knowledge of procedural content workflows with a focus on Houdini and Substance Designer.
- Experience with coding in VEX.
- Experience working in Unity.
- Experience creating materials and shaders.
- Experience in Maya, Max or Blender.
- Strong foundational art skills, including composition, color, and lighting, and great visual research and reference skills.
- Understand memory and frame-rate budgets and work within those constraints.
- Ability to take on large scale tasks
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A general passion and curiosity for games and game development.
- A solution oriented approach to problem solving powered by initiative and exploration.
- Adept at both giving and receiving constructive feedback in a very collaborative and iterative environment.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and deliver work in a timely manner.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with level layout and design.
- Experience coding in Python and C#
Employment Eligibility Requirement
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at HBS
All HBS employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as independently
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at HBS Means
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- Paid holidays including the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- Matching 401(k) program
- Annual profit-sharing from Paradox Interactive
- Easy access off I-405 and free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Pet-friendly office
You should apply to work at HBS if you want to:
Make amazing game experiences with co-workers who are just as passionate about their craft as you are
Be part of a project small enough (20-35 members) for everyone to have a significant impact
Join a warm, inclusive and diverse team, with a respectful and collaborative culture
Evolve and learn with us in a growth-mindset environment