Senior UX Designer
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey, to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 28-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 200 people located in 3 studios: Norway, US, and Portugal. As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Now, Funcom is working on an open-world multiplayer survival game set in the universe of Dune and is looking for a Senior UX Designer to join its development team in Oslo, Norway. As a part of this team, you will take part in bringing this amazing world to life, while pushing the boundaries of quality and gameplay in the survival genre.
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Senior UX Designer, you will work closely with the Lead UI/UX Designer to find the best UX solutions for any Feature or tasks and work to ensure consistency across the game, be it in HUD, Menus, or Controls, looking for opportunities to innovate.
You have a range of experience working on UX for AAA projects and are able to bring this knowledge to the team, helping evangelise UX and ensure the integration of UX design into the production process. You are a skilled communicator, no matter the audience, able to present progress and represent the team as needed, always open to feedback.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work closely with the Lead UI/UX Designer
- Mentor junior team members, supporting their learning
- Delegate smaller tasks to juniors and coach them through them
- Be able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Be able to follow schedules and manage own time to achieve results
- Be autonomous and able to own tasks while exploring their scope and possibilities to find new solutions
- Use your experience to help determine priorities for tasks and estimate their scope
- Follow the project vision and guidelines, ensuring your work supports and informs them
- Experience of producing extensive wireframe iteration on Features
- Experience of producing a wide range of Flow diagrams to support and explain Features that the team can use and follow
- Ability to present Designs to a range of stakeholders and able to bring them along, whilst also be open to constructive feedback
We are looking for someone that has:
- Previous experience as a Senior preferred although extensive prior experience also considered
- 3+ years experience working on AAA console and/or PC titles in a UI/UX role
- Full development cycle on at least 1 shipped AAA title on console/PC
- High level of experience in UI/UX and an impressive portfolio of work
- High level of experience in relevant tools ie Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, Adobe XD etc
- Excellent communication, organization, mentorship, time management and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent and authorization to work in Europe
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Familiarity with Unreal UE4
- Knowledge of common development software (e.g. Confluence, SharePoint, Jira)
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond UI/UX Passion for UX, usability, accessibility
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible! Average response time is 1 week.
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, and leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life-balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
The Funcom Oslo studio is a professional working environment with an international work culture, close to 100 people from over 25 different nationalities in one of the happiest countries in the world. Funcom is an international and varied environment in which people has one thing in common – their love for making and playing videogames.
Located in central downtown Oslo, the studio is situated in a modern office building surrounded by a cozy area with lots of sights, restaurants, and cafés.
Working at Funcom Oslo offers a flexible 37.5h/week working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, free access to gym, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.