(Closed) VFX Artist
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain's biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We have an exciting opportunity for you if you have a deep passion for VFX! Come and join our development team and work on exciting new projects like our brand new Formula 1 franchise.
Frontier is looking for a talented Visual Effects Artist to join our high calibre team in creating effects for exciting new projects. Working alongside our experienced team of developers, you will have the opportunity to improve your skillset alongside some of the best creatives in the industry!
We are a highly focused, ambitious team, looking for a VFX Artist who lives and breathes VFX, as well as being passionate about video games in general.
The role is multi-faceted, requiring a solid understanding of the core principles of VFX: gameplay, shape, timing, motion, contrast, colour and composition. As a VFX Artist at Frontier, you will play a critical role in driving our games in to the next generation of immersive experiences. What are you waiting for?
- Work with the VFX team to plan and deliver stunning realistic and stylised VFX, using our proprietary game engine and tools.
- Use our in-house particle editor and other tools to create high quality effects such as fire, smoke, explosions, debris, clouds and more, and help to influence the further development of internal technologies.
- Work with the art and design team on all VFX aspects of game development.
- Collaborate with our dedicated team of artists, designers, animators and programmers to realise our ambition for next gen visuals.
- Demonstrate creativity and technical ability, ensuring VFX are performant and in budget.
- Candidates must have previous experience as a VFX Artist, or a strong portfolio of work which demonstrates a high level of skill in VFX.
- A strong understanding of the core principles of VFX: gameplay, shape, timing, motion, contrast, colour and composition.
- Attention to detail is crucial, backed up by observation skills to create authentic, believable and dynamic effects.
- A solid understanding of real time game engines and particle systems.
- A mind-set that encompasses both the aesthetic and technical aspects of VFX as well as a proactive, pragmatic and inquisitive nature to find the best possible way to create an effect.
- An understanding of how to create effects which are efficient and well balanced.
- Great communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively on shared projects.
- Knowledge of the range of visual techniques employed in delivering high quality effects in modern games.
- Keen understanding of memory and performance pitfalls as well as techniques and tricks a VFX Artist can employ to avoid them.
- Experience with 3D and image manipulation software, such as Maya, FumeFX, Photoshop, After Effects, and Houdini or other equivalents.
- Strong awareness of industry technology trends.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Love of video games.
- Knowledge of game lighting and other FX systems such as full screen effects etc is beneficial
- Experience in films is beneficial if you can also demonstrate working in a real time environment.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio's success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.