Senior Gameplay Programmer
Frontier are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We are currently looking for highly experienced Senior Gameplay Programmers to come and join us on one of our unannounced projects.
Frontier has a proud history of creating complex games with rich game mechanics. As a senior gameplay programmer you will play an important role in our continued success, developing great games in collaboration with a diverse and talented game team. Your experience and expertise will help to shape and deliver the fantastic experiences that players have come to expect from our games.
Playing a senior role in a game team, you will become an expert in both the code and the player experience for major parts of the game. You will mentor and support other members of the team, and raise your own abilities to make each game better than the last. Working closely with a cross-discipline team, you will push our COBRA engine to create games that players will never forget.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Drive technical design and development, create innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Champion quality in our games by creating engaging gameplay mechanics.
- Mentor junior members of the programming team and collaborate with peer team members.
- Profile and optimise game systems to maximise performance.
- Work closely with other disciplines to help streamline our development processes.
- Prioritise, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with minimal oversight.
- Senior gameplay programming role on at least one commercially released game for console or PC.
- Strong programming skills using C++ in a large codebase.
- Self-motivated and driven with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience working in a large codebase and the ability to adapt to established methods.
- Enjoys collaborating with team members on cross-discipline tasks.
- Keeps up to date with new game technologies and innovations.
- Ability and willingness to develop others through effective mentoring and coaching skills.
- Advanced knowledge of LUA programming.
- Familiarity with adding features post-release to games with active players.
- Experienced full commercial game development lifecycle from prototyping, through production to post-release support.
- Cross-platform development experience including Xbox One or PlayStation 4.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.