Software Engineer I
Software Engineer – I, Player & Developer Experience Team - EA Digital Platform (EADP) We are EA Electronic Arts is more than you’ve ever realized. We’re more than a company, or a headline, or even a clever catchphrase – we’re a vibrant community of over 8,000 artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working toward a shared vision: to inspire and unite through play.
While headquartered in Redwood City, EA's platform engineering, game development, and publishing operations take place in a network of locations, stretching from Shanghai to Stockholm, Melbourne to Vancouver. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you’ll feel the energy and support of EA’s global brand, while immersing yourself in a culture that inspires you to thrive, take risks and dream big.
Our unique studios create amazingly creative and fun games - fast paced puzzles, adrenaline filled warfare, galaxy spanning adventures, high speed racing, and sports so realistic you can practically feel the grass under your feet. This is an especially great time for the video game industry, as we’re currently going through an exciting digital transformation. The effects of this on EA’s business have been profound.
In fiscal year 2014, 45% ($1.8 billion) of our non-GAAP net revenues came from digital offerings. The global gaming audience has also never been bigger, with industry revenue projected to reach $86 billion in 2016. Since its founding in 1982, EA has helped shape the way over 300 million registered players consume and enjoy interactive media.
No other company can deliver EA’s portfolio of amazing games and services, across multiple platforms, to players around the world. It is an exciting era in games, and an exciting time to join the team at EA! The Challenge Ahead: EA’s Digital Platform (EADP) organization is responsible for driving critical technology decisions and investments for EA on a global basis, across all divisions and studio teams. Technology and engineering leadership at EA is critical to making the industry’s best games and services and the EADP team is leading the way to providing cross-platform infrastructure that will keep our consumers connected with our games anytime, anywhere with anyone..
What a Software Engineer in Player & Development Experience does at EA: This unique role is the glue that ties the game teams and the core game platform and shared services. This is done by performing a system level analysis of the game design, game security and supportability and in-depth load and performance engineering.
We build systems and tools that aid in performance evaluation and doing “systems test as a service” across EA. Success has customers spending more hours with our portfolio of games because they are fast and performant; having “EA Servers” powering a game becomes a competitive differentiator.
This effort requires expertise spanning platform technologies, infrastructure technologies, and game engine and client technology across EA’s broad portfolio of mobile, console and PC games as well as other consumer facing touch points.
- Performance engineering of different console games. This includes coming up with a test design, game play driven scenarios and evaluating actual game logs to come up with an accurate representation of load to generate and setting up complex distributed test environment to run tests and generate load.
- Create, maintain and improve test code in C++ to support applications and features
- Execute tests and provide accurate analysis and reporting of test results
- Analyze and troubleshoot system and network issues relating to performance and test automation processes
- Troubleshooting to find root cause of issues identified during testing – isolate test issues vs system component issues.
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams to track and resolve issues
- Communication of test status and results to key stakeholders
- Work cross teams to identify, define key metrics and setup performance benchmarks
- Design, develop, and run experiments to gauge effectiveness of benchmarks
- Analyze the complex technical architecture across EA’s platform and infrastructure lead the assessment of failures and determine root causes and drive fixes
- Coordinate closely with corporate communications and customer experience to listen to our players everywhere including social media, email, chat and phone
- May work on design and implementation of tools to automate the process and support CI activities as appropriate
- May work on Player Reliability metrics collection, analysis, Tools for mining the data and presenting in meaningful dashboards as appropriate
- May work on crash data analysis tools and enhance features in the crash analytic software
The next great EA Software Engineer, Player & Development Experience also needs:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or higher
- 1-4 years of relative experience
- Understanding and familiarity with cloud technologies like AWS, Azure etc.,
- Understanding and hands on experience with DevOps tools such as Docker etc.,
- Knowledgeable in scalable platform architecture, end to end systems design and architecture
- Passion and creativity for problem solving
- Familiarity with visualization tools and database technologies, familiarity with analytic techniques such as predictive modeling and data visualizations
- Able to work and problem solve independently, to organize workload and priorities, high-quality execution, technical innovation/adaptation, and initiative
- Understanding of the realities of working with large, rich datasets and complex distributed client/server systems
- A passion for gaming and a highly analytical and creative thinker
What’s in it for you?
Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Don’t Just Play It – Create It!