Backend Software Engineer
WHAT IMPACT CAN A BACKEND SOFTWARE ENGINEER HAVE AT ESG?
Tracking engagement and conversion in free-to-play games is no joke! As a Backend Software Engineer on the Game Services team working with IdleKit. You’ll develop and maintain the platform behind the reporting and analytics for the titles built by ESG and our partner studios, including hits like Trailer Park Boys: Greasy Money and Archer: Danger Phone. Working extensively with our internal data pipeline and AWS, you’ll build the infrastructure and tools necessary to enable smooth reporting from our games into Redshift, then into our proprietary reporting structure. We’re a remote-first studio and encourage all applications. We’re a remote-first studio and encourage all applications!
What is IdleKit?
IdleKit is Eastside Games’ core technology platform that enables our internal games and external partnership games. The IdleKit team operates as an independent business unit that productizes our platform and actively publishes new games under the Eastside Games brand.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with studio partners to manage and upgrade infrastructure deployments.
- Proactively identify and recommend improvements to address systemic pain points and tech debt.
- Develop and maintain automated services for our catalogue.
- Ensure analytics event implementation and validation for our catalogue.
- Maintain and update ESG’s games and services, optimized for efficiency and TCO.
- Work with Growth to ensure revenue and metrics reporting is accurate for all of our games.
- Optimize and maintain our Redshift for our catalogue.
- Work with a team that has a rotating on-call schedule, ensuring that our services are supported 24/7 for all our live products.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- 3+ years of experience in Software engineering ideally in games development.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent discipline.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with PHP 7.x or Java 8+ (experience with both is a bonus!).
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud (Kinesis, Redshift, RDS, etc.).
- Experience with Docker.
- Familiarity with Jenkins.
- A bonus would be to have experience with C# and Unity.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WORK AT ESG?
We are East Side Games – a pillar in beautiful Vancouver’s gaming community. Our mission is to create games that are easy to pick up, hard to put down, and don’t suck! We put players at the heart of our evolution, independence, and profitability. With their help, we’ve defined the narrative idle gaming space with huge IPs that reach the lives of millions globally… And we’re just getting started!
Culture rules here, and that’s what makes us unique. We put people at the core of what we do. We believe that you can steer the ship of your career, and we anchor through support, trust, and connection. Tackle your challenges, share your learnings, then share a drink with the studio in our weekly Cheers Friday Announcements. Have we piqued your curiosity? Then check out our amazing Culture and Benefits! We’re also a remote-first studio and encourage all applications!
WE’RE BUILT ON THE FOUNDATIONS OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
East Side Games are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply and will utilize the strengths you bring to foster your growth and the studio’s growth.
If this sounds like everything you hoped for and more, and you’re enthused to build genre-defining narrative idle games, click the “Apply Here” button below. If now is not the right time for you but you know someone who would be a great match for us at East Side Games, then check out our Referral Bonus! Let’s build great games together!
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Due to a small, but completely awesome recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in ESG and we wish you super success in your job search!