LOCATION: HYBRID / BUNGIE-APPROVED REMOTE LOCATIONS
Bungie is looking for an Engineering Director who is excited to help build a brand-new 3rd-person action game – working on everything from prototyping to technical architecture to team building – as a servant leader in close collaboration with a cross-discipline leadership team. This is a unique opportunity to join a team at the beginning of its journey, build a technical and organizational foundation, and then carry it through production and into the hands of delighted players.
Are you excited about building a new game’s technology ecosystem, while working at a company that values diversity, carefully guards work/life balance, and propels positive social change? As the Engineering Director of a new project, you will grow an engineering organization that can build and utilize a wide range of technologies and workflows to develop, continuously deliver, and maintain a production game service. As part of the project leadership team, accountable to the Project Lead, you will create and evolve a technology strategy that is aligned with project goals and initiatives and serves the needs of the game, its players, and developers. Most importantly, you will work with a fun, dedicated, and energetic team devoted to creating world-class gaming experiences.
- Integrate into team leadership and help develop and align project strategy
- Investigate, build consensus, and decide on foundational technology architecture
- Hire, manage, and mentor multiple engineering leads, providing technical guidance, management support, constructive feedback, and career development coaching
- Recruit, nurture, and retain an engineering organization with the skills, capacity, and adaptability to navigate uncertainty and deliver on the changing needs of the project
- Proactively identify and resolve project risks of all flavors (technical, product, team health, etc.) and manage tradeoffs in technical quality, scope, and schedule
- Collaborate with central technology teams, operations teams, and external partners – maintaining strong relationships, priority alignment, and technology alignment
- Reinforce and upgrade our culture of inclusivity, positivity, psychological safety, and cooperation – a collaborative culture is particularly important to us
- Able to technically direct an organization of 10+ engineers and manage engineering leads
- Able to translate broad product and business goals into sound technical solutions
- Able to operate at multiple abstraction levels, from high level discussions with non-technical customers to understanding and assisting with deep tech challenges
- Able to design an engineering organization’s structure and processes
- Strong emotional intelligence and consensus building skills
- Experience with multiple game engines and platforms (PC, Console, Mobile)
- Experience working with high-availability, large-scale backend services
- Experience working on live service games
Most Bungie employees and contractors will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, OR, TX, or WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.