Software Engineer, Server Reliability - World of Warcraft
“Dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever.”
That’s our mission statement here at Blizzard Entertainment, and for a Reliability Engineer on the World of Warcraft (WoW) team, it’s a way of life.
In this role, you’ll work with engineers and designers to enable our servers in hosting new and exciting content. We’ll need you to investigate and work to prevent service issues so players can play without unexpected interruptions. To that end, you will find yourself digging into complex software mysteries by investigating source code, looking for evidence in logs and server telemetry, and using logical deduction to help us make great decisions.
The WoW team is built on a culture of collaboration, intense creativity, and problem-solving. As a group, we are committed to pushing our exploration of Azeroth to the fullest, and in doing so create a gaming experience like no other. As a reliability engineer on the server team, the work you do will live at the very heart of this philosophy. We’re looking for an engineer with qualities above and beyond engineering. We need a curious and tenacious individual with strong deductive reasoning skills and a strong background in tracking down software problems. We want a person that enjoys working in a group setting; who can speak to engineers, understand a designer’s vision, and explain a problem to someone less technical; someone whose experience in creative environments has reinforced the value of communications, empathy, and collaboration.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Diagnose complex software problems occurring on the live World of Warcraft servers.
- Review, build, and deploy server software in a live environment.
- Diagnose networking and OS related problems.
- Help build monitoring and control software.
- Share in off-hour / on-call duties.
- Exceptional deductive reasoning skills
- Curiosity and tenacity to fully diagnose why something went wrong
- Rapidly learn the architecture of systems to predict how changes can impact customers and infrastructure
- Understand server/client interactions by reading source code and stepping through code under a debugger
- Familiar with OS, networking, and server design concepts
- Programming background with C++
- Strong code review skills
- Able to write scripts in an administrative language (Python, Perl, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Promotes and contributes to a culture of inclusion and diversity
- A degree in computer science, or a related field
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with databases
- Active World of Warcraft player
- Experience building web pages