Multiple Locations: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Montreal, Quebec, Canada Austin, Texas, United States
Electronic Arts is an innovative tech company that creates incredible experiences for millions of gamers around the world. But what matters most is our people who inspire us, and the world, to play. As we bring new forms of entertainment to people around the world, we need innovative, collaborative, diverse and adaptable people to keep making Electronic Arts better.
BioWare is about creating worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire players to become the hero of their story. We are looking for collaborative problem solvers who share our passion for games as a creative medium and want to create groundbreaking experiences for our players. Join us for this once-in-a-career opportunity to help build the next Mass Effect, creating cutting edge visuals, telling emotionally engaging stories, and delivering exciting gameplay.
We are looking for a world-class Environment Art Director to join the Mass Effect team. In this role, you will be a key stakeholder in the project’s success and committed to the studio’s mission. You will work seamlessly with other Directors to set ambitious goals, drive vision, develop project milestones, and advocate for player experience. Qualified applicants will have extensive Artistic expertise, creative problem-solving capability, strong attention to detail, level design knowledge, and imagination to explore iterations and produce final levels.
What the Environment Director will do at BioWare:
- Lead and inspire the level art team, providing feedback, guidance and mentorship.
- Collaborate closely with the Art Director, Creative Director, and other key stakeholders to define the environmental vision for the game.
- Work with Artists and Designers to ensure a unified look and consistent quality bar across game environments.
- Champion quality for the player’s level experience, identifying critical elements that need to be addressed if they aren’t meeting our quality goals.
- Lead level art reviews, providing actionable, qualitative feedback to the team based on art and gameplay direction.
- Visualize level development from initial ideation and concept to completion with minimal direction.
- Visualize level development from initial ideation and concept to completion.
- Work with engineers and technical artists to develop pipelines, documentation, and clear performance metrics.
- Understand the project's technical and artistic constraints. You will communicate those constraints to team members, providing guidance for asset creation and layout best practices.
- Estimate schedules, workloads, and set priorities for our level art team.
- Partner with production to set goals, tasks, and deliverables that ensure milestones.
- Understand the game's storyline and gameplay so the environment team can enhance those elements.
- Work with external teams to ensure consistency and provide feedback.
- Create a motivating, positive work environment that fosters career and craft growth.
- You will report to the Creative Director.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
- 2D and 3D artistic skills, and the ability to apply them to game systems.
- Compositional and visual storytelling skills.
- Expertise in Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop, or equivalent software.
- Substance Painter and Substance Designer knowledge.
- In-depth knowledge of material/shader development.
- Experience leading a medium to large team to success.
- Experience working with external art vendors.
- Technical knowledge to ensure assets and layouts are meeting optimization and gameplay metrics.
- Professional knowledge of AAA game engines and render pipelines.
- Experience with Unreal 5 or Unreal 4 experience is a plus!
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers.
We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more!
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.