Game Designer I Intern
Note: By applying to this position, your application will be considered for locations we hire for in the United States including, but not limited to: Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; Bay Area, CA; Bellevue, WA; Boston, MA; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Herndon, VA; Irvine, CA; New York, NY; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA. You may be considered for a role outside of Amazon Games.
Amazon is all in on games.
Do you want the chance to solve a real world business challenge? Are you fascinated with connecting players with games they will enjoy? Do you possess strong analytical and problem solving skills? Do you enjoy creating delightful game experiences? If you are not afraid of ambiguity, thinking outside the box, or complex challenges, this might be the Game Designer internship for you.
We believe the evolution that began with pre-internet arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the live streams and eSports of today, will continue to a future in which fans are creators, players are celebrities, and games are a global cultural touchstone that cuts across age, gender and nationality. Games have the power to connect communities at a massive scale, and we want to be a part of that future by delivering great customer experiences to players, viewers, streamers, and game developers. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us.
We are looking for a game design intern to help shape the future of our games within a team at our Amazon Game Studios, Orange County. As a game designer intern you’ll be responsible for inventing and developing a unique and exciting game mechanic for our players. You will work with a team of animators and programmers to bring your vision to life. If you want to focus on gameplay designers to create a responsive, fun and flowing gameplay experience, come join us!
Depending On The Specific Game Design Role, You Will
- Develop content for an existing game
- Communicate your design vision with written documentation
- Collaborate and iterate, constantly playtesting, acquiring feedback, and improving your work
- Implement necessary functionality with the guidance of a designer or programmer
- Combat/Controls Design: Describe timings, distances, and other animation keys for responsive, fun gameplay; script gameplay logic and integrate animations into the game engine
- Content Design: Develop player-facing game content via spawning and scripting in the game world
- Level Design: Collaborate with art and content design to develop compelling play spaces
- Narrative Design: Write and edit narrative content such as character dialog, cutscene scripts, backstory, and user interface text (quests, items, etc.)
- Systems Design: Develop and tune systems such as progression, economy, and non-action combat
We are looking for future Amazon interns to join us for summer 2021. Amazon interns have the opportunity to work alongside the industry’s brightest game developers who innovate everyday on behalf of our customers.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a BA/BS or Masters degree
- Experience as a player with a variety of online video games
- Ability to effectively communicate mechanics that impact player experiences
- Combat Design: Experience with visual scripting or scripting language
- Experience scripting in modern engines (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc…)
- Animation understanding and fluency
- Experience developing a game mechanic
- Deep understanding the competitive, multiplayer game landscape
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.