(Closed) Senior Data Scientist, Segmentation & Marketing Analytics
Who We Are
2K Games Dublin is a hub focused on performance marketing, commercial strategy, data engineering and data science/analytics and is part of the 2K games group of companies.
2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets. 2K is a leading publisher of today’s most popular gaming genres and most well-known for critically acclaimed game franchises like NBA 2K, WWE 2K, BioShock, Borderlands, Evolve, XCOM and the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization.
What We Need
We’re looking for a skilled and passionate senior data scientist to work in our Marketing Analytics team within the Global Analytics & Insights function of 2K. As our games get bigger and more complex we are growing our Analytics group. This person will be focused on both console/PC and mobile games and be responsible for crunching data, building predictive models, extracting insights & sharing findings with the business. Model outputs are used in a production environment to power marketing (in-game, in-console, and direct). Insights are used by leadership to manage the business and improve the customer experience. Our games are played by millions every day so our team has a very rich dataset to play with, and a direct path to implementing our outputs.
What You Will Do
- Analyse gameplay and economy telemetry data to understand how feature, content, and balance adjustments are impacting overall player experience, before and after the product launches.
- Use customer telemetry to build player level propensity to buy models, lifetime value models and forecasting models. Use these models to inform the marketing CPA’s and feed into the budget process.
- Test engagement and monetization strategies around our lifecycle offerings.
- Work closely with marketing teams to create segmented persona groupings, optimise targeted audiences, identify measurable KPI’s, report on performance of advertising campaigns, calculate ROAS and ultimately report on the value of marketing to the business.
- Establish and distribute regular performance reports based on simple telemetry and advanced models.
- Collaborate with other members of the Analytics team to bring the gameplay and marketing data together and build predictive models for customer segmentation and campaign optimisation.
- Perform ad hoc analysis for marketing, commercial and other parts of the business where required.
- Present analytical insights in writing and via presentation.
What Skills Are Needed
The ideal candidate must be able to see the underlying story in the data, build sophisticated or simple models depending on the situation, and develop a compelling communication to the business. Someone who is hypothesis driven and has experience using data-driven techniques to test the hypotheses rigorously. Being a solution oriented, creative problem solver; a self-starter with the passion and enthusiasm to drive results for meaningful change is critical for this role.
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Sciences (or in another quantitative discipline).
- 4+ years of experience in data mining & analytics, building models with very large, complex and multi-dimensional data sets.
- Experience with predictive modelling techniques and accomplished user of one of the statistical software packages like R or SAS. .
- Experience in relational databases, SQL data carpentry. Experience with big data technologies such as Spark or NoSQL DBs a plus. We use Snowflake for our data warehouse.
- Experience with data visualization tools a plus, Tableau preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven track record of working across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, rapidly prototyping and testing new ideas with little guidance.
- Drive to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is necessary along the way.
- Experience understanding the strengths and weaknesses of different modelling approaches and can effectively reason about when to apply different combinations and iterate.
- Strong statistical knowledge to understand significance of findings.
- Demonstrated expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise within cross-functional teams.
- Video games industry experience and/or gaming familiarity helpful.
- Experience working with paid and unpaid marketing channels and/or customer analytics experience desirable.