WayForward has been developing video games in Southern California for over 30 years. In that time, we have launched hundreds of games with partners such as Activision, Apple, Capcom, Disney, Konami, Sega, WB, Universal, and many more! Our games are known for their classic, satisfying gameplay, beautiful art and animation, and compelling characters, story, and worlds. They have routinely received top scores on Metacritic and a multitude of awards and nominations from media outlets such as IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid, and Polygon. Notable titles include: The Shantae series, Mighty Switch Force, A Boy and His Blob, DuckTales: Remastered, Aliens: Infestation, Contra 4, and games based on popular brands including Adventure Time, Batman, Silent Hill, Double Dragon, and Marvel.
We are looking for an experienced pixel artist to work on backgrounds for an action-platforming game. The ideal candidate will be someone who has a deep understanding of pixel art and how to build backgrounds in a pixel game. This will include creating tiles sets and props that can be put together to create beautiful and engaging backgrounds.
- A portfolio that demonstrates an expert level of proficiency in pixel art
- The ability to follow the art style of sample tilesets
- Understanding of 16x16px tilesets a plus
- Checking work in Unity a plus (but not necessary)
- Deliver work on schedule and self manage time
- Deliver assets in correct format
- Follow direction and understand the feedback process and iterations
- Strong communication skills
- Self motivated
- Good problem solving skills
- And a passion for making and playing games!
This position has the option to be done remotely, or in person in our office in Valencia, California. This is a per-project position that will for 5 to 7 months.