At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it’s about amazing our fans. Taking risks, collaborating with each other, and daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
As a Gameplay Software Engineer on The Sims, your job will be to develop user-facing content for The Sims. Most of the work is expected to be done in Python.
- You will use Python, C++, and ActionScript 3 to implement data-driven gameplay and UI systems.
- You will create new Sim behaviors: interaction with the world, other Sims, and objects.
- You will build creative aspects of real-life within a simulation game (e.g. socialization, careers, scenarios etc).
- You will work with designers, producers, artists, and other engineers on improving the data-driven framework that brings designs to life.
- You will write technical design documents detailing software requirements.
- You will build unique content for a game that supports a large demographic of simulation player patterns.
- You will write code with performance and memory usage in mind.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- 3+ years experience in a hands-on development role.
- Demonstrate technical abilities with projects implemented in C++ or Python.
- Windows desktop development experience required.
- Previous engineering experience owning a major system.
- Demonstrate experience working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Experience developing for large-scale live products.
- Experience using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes.
About EA We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers. We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more. Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game. Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.