Humanoid Origin is a new videogame company founded on the axiom that creative freedom and independence lead to better, more innovative games. We believe in the power of small, agile teams, and a flat organizational structure, where everyone is empowered to make decisions and help drive the project vision.
We are a Canadian company with offices in Kelowna BC, and Edmonton Alberta. We offer a flexible work environment combining from-home, in-office, and remote work – as well as industry-leading compensation and benefits. By joining Humanoid, you will be welcomed into a diverse team of talented developers creating an immersive new universe of story, character, and discovery.
As a Senior Character Artist at Humanoid, you will bring some of the very first characters in our new fictional universe to life. Working alongside the Creative, Art, and Narrative Directors, you will explore and define the aesthetic and set a gold standard for quality of character art. Initial work will be in support of pre-production and prototyping, and later will move on to producing humans and creatures for the game at final quality.
This role can be done remotely throughout North America or in-office either in BC or Alberta, as part of our flexible location model.
- Work with the Creative, Art, and Narrative directors to ideate and adapt aesthetic, gameplay, and narrative concepts into real 3D game characters
- Create all aspects of high-quality characters for Unreal Engine including sculpting and texturing human and alien forms, faces, and hair, as well as both soft and hard surface clothing
- Assist with defining and achieving the final render quality through a keen eye for color theory, articulation, surface response, shape language, and silhouette
- Create, document, and share asset creation best practices
- Actively mentor creative and technical abilities of team members
- Support standards for character art and the integration and feedback of outsourced assets
- Stay up to date with new and innovative technologies, proactively incorporating and improving pipelines and processes
- Build believable, expressive, visually stunning characters that validate and further drive gameplay and narrative ambitions
- Collaborate with other team members to ensure art is integrated seamlessly with other facets of the game
- 5+ years’ experience with at least one shipped title as a Character Artist
- A strong portfolio, demonstrating your masterful ability to create high-quality, realistic, and emotive characters and creatures
- An interest in fashion design, including an eye and understanding of how to reconstruct specific cuts and shapes with various types of clothing in Marvelous Designer and Zbrush
- Broad 3D game-art skills including experience with Unreal Engine 4 or higher, face scanning, photogrammetry, shader editors, cloth simulation, and rigging/skinning
- A discerning eye for detail and anatomy
- The ability to optimize the overall render quality of a character to a high standard while supporting clean topology necessary for articulation and deformation
- Self-motivated, with proactive communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with team members of all development disciplines
- A passion for utilizing art as a storytelling medium to build compelling worlds
- Prior experience with customizable and modular character systems, MetaHuman, and/or character animation is a bonus
Base Salary Range:
- $121,000 - 178,000 CAD