Humanoid Origin is a new videogame company founded on the axiom that creative freedom and independence lead to better, more innovative games. We believe in the power of small, agile teams, and a flat organizational structure, where everyone is empowered to make decisions and help drive the project vision.
We are a Canadian company with offices in Kelowna, B.C., and Edmonton, Alberta. We offer a flexible work environment combining from-home, in-office, and remote work – as well as industry-leading compensation and benefits. By joining Humanoid, you will be welcomed into a diverse team of talented developers creating an immersive new universe of story, character, and discovery.
As a Principal Environment Artist at Humanoid, you will produce some of the very first locations in our new fictional universe. Working with the Creative Director and Art Director’s, you will explore and define the aesthetic and set a gold standard for quality of in-game art. Initial work will be in support of pre-production and prototyping, and later will move on to producing environment art for the game at final quality.
As part of our flexible location model, this role can be work-from-home, or in-office either in BC or Alberta.
- Work with the Creative Director and Art Director to ideate and adapt aesthetic, gameplay, and narrative concepts into real 3D game environments
- Create all aspects of high-quality environments for Unreal Engine including natural landscapes, foliage, interiors, and set-pieces
- Assist with defining and achieving the final render quality through a keen eye for scene composition, lighting, and materials
- Create, document, and share asset creation and world building best practices
- Actively mentor creative and technical abilities of team members
- Define standards for environment art and support the integration and feedback of outsourced assets
- Stay up to date with new and innovative technologies, proactively incorporating and improving pipelines and processes
- Build believable, visually stunning worlds that validate and further drive gameplay and narrative ambitions
- Collaborate with other team members to ensure art is integrated seamlessly with other facets of the game
- 10+ years’ experience or, at least three shipped titles as an Environment Artist - at least one as a Senior Environment Artist
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your masterful ability to create high-quality assets and visually engaging gameplay spaces
- Broad 3D game-art skills including experience with Unreal Engine 4 or higher, photogrammetry, shader editors, lighting, physics, and cloth simulation
- A discerning eye for detail, and ability to optimize the overall render quality of a scene to a high standard
- Self-motivated, with proactive communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with team members of all development disciplines
- Prior experience with procedural 3d software such as Houdini is a plus
- A passion for utilizing art as a storytelling medium to build compelling worlds
Base Salary Range:
- $146,000 - $214,000 CAD