Hitmarker reveals industry job trends in new 2021 infographic
With data from tens of thousands of jobs to analyze each year, we have the ability to track and highlight trends in the games industry’s job market with unmatched accuracy. And now that 2021 is behind us, we’ve looked at the year in review and built comparisons to 2020 to understand what’s changed in our new, detail-filled infographic.
Here are some of the key takeaways:
- Total jobs in the games industry increased by 5% between 2020 and 2021.
- Entry and junior level roles make up only 16% of all vacancies.
- The demand for senior candidates rose by 2.9% between 2020 and 2021.
- Software engineering and game development were the two most in-demand sectors.
- Jobs in the USA decreased by 1.5% in 2021, likely due to the uptick in remote working.
- Remote jobs increased by 3.7% in 2021 and now make up more than 10% of all listings.
- Six of the 10 most actively hiring cities were on North America’s west coast.
→ Download the HD infographic here
Hitmarker’s Head of Recruitment, Sara Machado, commented on the infographic, saying: “It's possible to see, through the data, that COVID-19, the great resignation, and big studio acquisitions changed the industry's recruitment landscape by presenting new challenges to companies. While remote work opportunities are slowly but surely increasing, companies seem less willing to invest in entry-level roles, which are often seen as riskier hires, while battling for more experienced talent. Paying attention to those industry trends is fundamental for businesses to adapt their hiring strategies in an ever-changing ecosystem.”
Earlier this year, we published another data-driven report on candidate preferences when job seeking, the highlights of which can be viewed here.