Senior Technical Animator
We are seeking a skilled Technical Animator to help further develop our animation pipeline. The focus of this position will be on runtime animation integration and animation handling in the pipeline.
You will work with animators to develop blend graphs that produce smooth, AAA quality animation, seamlessly combining animated motion with various runtime input sources. You’ll help define animation related workflows and systems, and you’ll assist animators in all technical aspects of animation production. Working with multiple disciplines to identify effective solutions, you will serve as a communicator with the goal of ensuring all involved parties have a common understanding of the system and our shared goals.
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience writing animation authoring tools (in Max, Maya, etc.), though this is not the primary area of coverage. If you have experience programming in any form, this is a huge plus. If you have experience with MOCAP that is also beneficial. If you are technical, highly motivated and passionate about animation, please apply for this position. It’s an uncommon opportunity.
- 5 or more years industry experience
- 3-5 years runtime animation system experience (can overlap with industry experience)
- Professional experience working with 2 or more animation pipelines
- Strong technical skillset and love of getting hands dirty
- Strong understanding of kinematics and eye for animation
- Experience with runtime animation tools, techniques and capabilities (Unity, Havok Behavior, Natural Motion, or proprietary, etc.)
- Familiarity with rigging
- Some familiarity with MOCAP workflows
- Understand differences between production and runtime animation requirements and data
- Clear, demonstrable understanding of animation data and how it moves through the pipeline
- Self-sufficient, motivated and independent
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Familiarity with common data formats: XML/JSON/etc.
- Familiarity with common 3D data formats: HVK/GR2/OBJ/FBX/ALEMBIC/etc.
Portfolio: Please include links to your work and clearly indicate your contributions. Resumes without work samples will not be considered.
- Work closely with Animation, Design, and Engineering to develop the means by which these groups interact with animation data
- Play a positive, proactive role in communication between all involved departments
- Advocate for Animation while maintaining attention to performance issues
- Provide ongoing support and training to Animation throughout production cycle
- Communicate, promote, and document animation related processes and best practices
- Help to identify tools that will make managing large amounts of animation possible
- Some understanding of shaders
- Any programming experience
- Experience with special effects and non-character animation
- General interest in contemporary CGI techniques