Senior Worldbuilding Game Designer
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you an experienced Game Designer who aspires to build fun, innovative worlds and work with well-established lore with an equally established player base? We are looking for a curious, adaptable, and creative new team member to bring their robust worldbuilding, writing, and game design skills to Magic!
What you'll do
- Lead exploratory Worldbuilding for an upcoming set with a team of Art Directors, Writers, Concept Artists, and Game Designers
- Develop establishing documentation for a concept push
- Collaborate with our Consumer Insights leads on testing for your characters and world design
- Provide support and mentorship to junior World Designers
- Write a high volume of Art Briefs
- Participate in Game Design brainstorms
- Review fiction based on your projects to ensure consistency
- Write a World Guide that will be used across the entire Magic organization
What you'll bring
Magic produces multiple worlds, hundreds of characters, and thousands of cards per year, and we are a high-talent, welcoming team seeking a senior level Designer with:
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- An orientation towards both ownership and flexibility in the narrative process, from initial concept to final product release
- A deep love for and understanding of the world design process within a game design environment
- A passion for feedback and data to better inform their work
- The ability to thrive within the early ambiguity of a project, while iterating their way towards defining goals, structure, and documentation
- Strong valuation of inclusive storytelling
- Knowledge of Magic's worlds and characters
- Excellent at writing art briefs
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.