Senior Game Designer
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That's where you come in!
Are you a game design specialist with a kids-eye view of the world?
We're seeking an experienced Senior Game Designer to join our newly formed kids games studio and help us craft the next big kids gaming and entertainment IP. Reporting to the VP of Creative of the Wizards Kids Studio, we will initially work as a small strike team as we iterate on and define our vision. We'll explore treatments of existing Wizards/Hasbro brands in addition to completely new ideas to entertain a new generation of gamers. Then you'll work with a diverse team of game developers to bring our shared vision to life. Share your passion for crafting engaging games for kids and build the future of kids interactive entertainment!
What You'll Do:
- Work with the team to brainstorm and craft the game design vision for development of IP for kids 8-12, collaborating with peers to cultivate awesomeness and business impact across gameplay, entertainment, and merchandizing
- Contribute to end-to-end game design execution, from concepting to prototyping through finished product, helping determine tools, schedules, and processes
- Lead by example and help to level up the team with your ideas, feedback, and broad knowledge of game design.
- Build positive relationships with internal teams and external partners by seeking shared success
What You'll Bring:
- Extensive game design experience in video games, ideally with significant experience making games for tweens and/or family audiences. Multiple shipped titles: 4+ years required, 6+ years preferred
- Completion of at least 1 full development cycle as a Sr. Designer or comparable position
- Insight into the gaming preferences of kids 8-12 and the adults who purchase games for them, coupled with a test-and-learn approach as you seek game design elements that contribute to player happiness
- Ability to communicate game mechanics in a way that is inspiring, creative, and elegant
- Rapid iteration of ideas: eager to seek out new perspectives, absorb feedback, pare it back to its core, and then fuel even better ideas
- A diplomatic and collaborative approach, eager to consider diverse perspectives
- A tuned "kids-eye-view" and sense of humor along with a love of kids entertainment and games including foundational knowledge of leading properties and staying on top of current trends
- Care about being excellent at your craft, helping others to succeed, and contributing to raising the bar on what it means for Wizards to be an industry leader
- Able to efficiently work from home, collaborating and sharing virtually until we return to the office
- When it is considered safe to do so, be willing to travel to meet with development partners
- Experience ideating on new IP and/or working in incubation is a strong plus
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.