Senior Development Director
Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We are seeking a Senior Development Director to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for building and managing our production team, developing our production processes, and driving our first game to launch. The ideal candidate is leader of multi-disciplinary teams on large, AAA game development projects who fosters teamwork and builds trust with leadership and developers alike. This role reports to the Director of Technical Operations.
What you’ll do
- Build and mentor a team to manage all aspects of game production
- Provide production expertise and drive adoption of best practices to build the studio’s game development processes and pipelines, including planning, reviews, and approvals
- Monitor the morale of the development team and assures it is working in a healthy manner to deliver work to high standards of quality
- Identify problems and recommend solutions to leadership when course correction is needed
- Develop and maintain the production roadmap and work with team leads to assure that time, cost, and quality are aligned with the project’s vision and goals
- Oversee the project’s accessibility goals and assure that they are integrated into the roadmap
- Work with team leads to manage vendor relationships and integrate them with the studio’s development processes
- Work with the Technical Operations team to build and maintain the software and services needed to manage development
- Drive the use of retrospectives and health checks through the team to create an environment of continuous improvement
- Define and implement dashboards and other reporting that keep the team informed on project progress
- Lead the full production lifecycle from prototype to gold master to submission
What you bring
- 8+ years managing production for cross-disciplinary game development teams for both console and PC platforms
- Deep understanding of game development pipelines, dependencies, and risk assessment
- Ability to solve hard project management problems and work with leads and team members to develop durable solutions as well as a passion for mentoring and making your team better
- Experience with first party development, certification, and submission processes
- Experience with culturalization and navigating local and regional rating requirements
- Experience with studio, project, and vendor budgeting processes
- Jira project management and customization
- Manage casting, voiceover, MoCap, and PCap for cinematics
- Manage art outsourcing and localization vendors
- Proficient with Perforce
- Excel power user
- Excellent communicator, open, and highly collaborative
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.