Senior Concept Artist
Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a phenomenal place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
Are you an adept illustrator with a passion for epic, story-driven roleplaying games and science fiction universes?
We’re looking for a skilled Senior Concept Artist to join an unannounced project. This artist is responsible for crafting original and imaginative concept art for characters, environments, and other game assets. In this role, you will present a clear and comprehensive process of research and exploration that supports your art, and have a strong understanding of efficient ideation techniques and artistic interpretation skills. You will work both independently and in cooperation with Leads and other artists to complete assignments.
What you'll do
- Create character and environment concepts at AAA quality for an unannounced project
- Build environment mood paintings, lighting studies, and color keys
- Work with remote Concept Artists, writing concept briefs and providing clear and concise feedback
- Contribute to the Art Bible for a new IP and give the universe visual personality
- Work with the Art Director and Creative Director to shape visuals for the game
- Take initiative to shape and evangelize the creative vision for the game
What you'll bring
- 5+ years of professional experience as a Concept Artist and/or Illustrator
- An outstanding ability in creating traditional 2D art - you know when to work quick to generate conceptual ideas and when to slow down to create a polished image for public consumption
- Expertise with shape design, silhouette, and structure as well as color and composition
- Proven understanding of human and creature anatomy - you know how to stylize them to build compelling and memorable characters with emotions and feelings
- Experience working with other Artists, with the ability to lead on projects
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.