Play Experience Researcher
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We are seeking a Player Experience Researcher to help us better understand our customers and retailers. The ideal candidate will use quantitative and qualitative analyses to develop customer profiles, and then collaborate with our Product Design and Play Experience teams to improve designs. You will use a mix of existing customer segmentation and marketplace data to showcase deep insights about our players and retail partners.
What you'll do
- Design and conduct mixed-method research studies to define key customer groups, in collaboration with our Business Intelligence, Consumer Insights, and Economics teams
- Identify underserved and hard to reach customer groups and recommend product or program innovations to fill gaps
- Collaborate with designers and retail development teams to incorporate findings into new product and program designs with compelling stories.
- Develop deep, research-driven product expertise
What you'll bring
- 3+ years of experience in applied user research—some examples include digital ethnographic or focus group research; marketing research; economic/business consulting; or academia (Magic or gaming work experience not required)
- 5+ years conducting mixed methods research, with demonstrable strength in either quantitative or qualitative analysis
- Concrete projects conducting research and translating it into actionable insights (examples could include but are not limited to industry presentations or academic publications)
- Familiarity putting qualitative research in quantitative context to inform high level business strategy and market sizing.
- Ability to own and lead a project from end to end.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain high-level findings to business leaders
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively collaborate with all professional levels
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, balancing competing priorities among multiple stakeholders
- A consistent track record of innovation, flexibility, and critical thinking.
The following attributes are helpful and may accelerate impact but are not required. Our interviews will focus on aptitude and ability to learn on the job.
- Masters or PhD in Psychology, Sociology, Human-Computer Interaction, Information Science
- Published ethnographic research
- Knowledge of advanced statistical methodology (clustering, regressions, etc.)
- Knowledge of SQL, R, Python, SAS, Stata, or other analytics programming
- Experience with Tableau or similar BI Tools (Looker, Chartio)
- Passion for gaming, particularly Magic: the Gathering
In the Wizards TCG Studio (Studio X), we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.