Narrative Game Design Internship - Summer 2022
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
About the Internships
Over the course of 10 weeks, a select group of college and university students will join us and gain valuable work experiences and insights into our most exciting products. Interns engage with Wizards’ beloved brands, gaining meaningful work-experience through day-to-day training, hands-on projects, executive exposure, individual development planning and mentorship. Did I mention we have a Dragon? Let's add your unlimited imagination and boundless curiosity our party.
- Our program runs between June 13 - August 19, 2022.
- Our internships are paid!
- Successful interns will be considered for returning internships or full-time employment offers.
Narrative Game Design Internship(s):
For summer 2022, we are offering the following internship in the Engineering field. Internships are open to undergrads and graduate level students unless otherwise noted.
- Narrative Game Designer (Digital Publishing)
The Intern-Narrative Design will work closely with the Worldbuilding Narrative Lead on a variety of projects and products. Candidate will assist in the creation and curation of world guides, collaborate on ideation sessions, and hone presentation skills to contribute to worldbuilding efforts. They will also work with a small team of peers to incubate on new game expressions within the world of D&D.
On the Digital Publishing creative team, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun D&D experiences and games for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
What You'll Do:
- Work with the Narrative Lead to contribute to worldbuilding and narrative efforts
- Provide writing and editorial support on content across numerous projects in production
- Assist in guiding alignment and clarity by working with your team to champion the narrative vision to internal and external partners
- Work with artists to craft descriptions and narrative support for conceptual assets.
- When not assisting with portfolio project work they will work with an incubation team of peers on a digital prototype.
What You’ll Bring:
- Candidate will demonstrate their storytelling craft via a writing sample or portfolio (preference for pieces that showcase your dialog writing, ability to express unique settings and environments clearly, and/or portray memorable characters in your chosen medium).
- Comfort and experience giving and receiving feedback.
- Experience with editorial work or writing collaboratively on a team within scope constraints.
- Ability to work both independently and communicate optimally with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to eagerly embrace challenges head-on and the confidence to propose creative solutions.
- Ability to design, using digital methods: MS Office Suite; such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint to articulate ideas.
- Work with the following subject matter (fantasy genre): Feature Creation, System Design, and Narrative.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Studies or training in Game Design, UX or related subjects.
- Knowledge of digital flow tools like proto.io or inky a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.