Business Affairs Manager
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
We have an immediate need for a Business Affairs Manager to support our flagship game brand, Magic: The Gathering. In this role, you will oversee compliance, contracts, and clearances across all Magic TCG products.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated expertise in contract oversight, a superior ability to coordinate a variety of different projects, a passion for details, and an affinity for games. Experience dealing with the challenges of an international business are a strong plus!
What you'll do:
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Magic Brand Strategy, you will:
- Serve as Studio liaison with Finance Department (vendor invoicing/ payment, financial tracking), and with In-House Legal Counsel (contracts/rights and clearances/etc.).
- Manage processes and standards for all legally binding product language, ensuring compliance across all product claims.
- Manage NDAs, vendor compliance reviews, and licensing agreements based on evolving business and workflow needs; anticipate consequences and communicate and coach teams affected accordingly.
- Manage vendor administration, create information resources, workflow process, conduct trainings and provide 1:1 support when needed.
- Administer all studio contracts which includes: working with Legal on drafting, reviewing redlines, flagging concerns (with internal stakeholders), providing recommendations for resolutions of the concerns while mitigating risk for the business.
- Maintain tracking on all vendor signup status and advise on potential issues with business owners.
- Review consumer-facing materials and advise Studio X team on compliance issues.
- Work with Legal team on trademark searches for proposed branding, taglines, etc.
- Facilitate negotiations between Wizards of the Cost internal teams and third parties.
Who are the other Wizards, teams and partners you will work with?
- Strong partnership with product owners within the TCG Studio, including Product Architects, Art Directors, and Studio Leadership.
- Strong working relationship with the Wizards Legal Team.
- Finance and Accounting Teams.
What you'll bring:
- Proven experience managing contracts in Business Affairs, Legal, or Finance, preferably supporting a global brand.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience required, preferably with a concentration in Business Administration or Legal. Legal degree preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail, the ability to understand complex contracts, strong financial skills, and experience managing budgets.
- Strong time management abilities; capable of prioritizing and handling multiple projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines.
- Experience with vendor relations and/or experience working on a global brand is a positive.
- Knowledge of and passion for tabletop gaming in general or Magic in particular is a positive.
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.