Art Director - Worldbuilding
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That's where you come in!
How would you like to help Magic: the Gathering create incredible new worlds and work with the best fantasy illustrators to make every Magic card worthy of an award?
Magic: the Gathering, the world's first and best-in-class Trading Card Game, is hiring a new Art Director!
What you'll do
- Commission a high volume of artwork: identifying freelance illustrators for each piece, providing continuous direction on individual pieces, and maintaining solid relationships with those partners.
- Lead in-house and external illustrators in crafting concept art assets.
- Present creative direction and providing constructive feedback in meetings and stand-up critiques.
- Review print-ready files to ensure final card quality.
- Participate in brainstorms on future Magic creative expressions.
What you'll bring
- 2+ yrs commercial art experience; experience as a commissioning Art Director/Art Producer is a plus
- A portfolio demonstrating strong creative vision with a cinematic lens
- Understanding of Magic as both a game and a brand
- Worldbuilding/character design experience
- You keep current with fantasy illustration market/talent, and modern print/press techniques and processes
- Strong communication skills and are comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- High attention to detail and are organized
- Ability to demonstrate ownership over both conceptual worldbuilding and commissioned work, and to synthesize game mechanics, brand knowledge, and creative goals into clear and concise direction
- Adept in Adobe Photoshop, proficient in Illustrator, InDesign and MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
In the Wizards TCG Studio, we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating broadly accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please contact us.