Sr. Combat Systems Designer
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit Overview
At WB Games San Francisco we are bringing to life some of the world’s most iconic characters, stories, and universes. Come help us build a world-class studio, and take leading entertainment franchises to 1.2 billion mobile gamers. We are committed to creating fun and engaging games for our fans, and are positioning ourselves to be a top player in mobile.
Warner Bros. Games Inc. seeks a Sr. Combat Systems Designer for WB Games San Francisco, a mobile gaming studio. Are you a Sr. Combat Systems Designer that wants to battle alongside Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman? WB Games San Francisco united DC’s greatest superheroes with “DC Legends” and brought to life the Wizarding World with “Harry Potter: Wizards Unite”. Now, WBGSF seeks a Sr. Combat Systems Designer that will drive the next generation of big action WB mobile games.
- Create an RPG combat system and related features that balance familiar systems with innovation to deliver a compelling player experience. Design complex systems that are represented in clear, concise game documentation.
- Demonstrate ownership over a core area of the game. Effectively communicate design and requirements to different disciplines and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to find creative solutions to the constraints or requirements identified by other disciplines (e.g. memory usage).
- Implement, iterate and tune content. Review other game system(s) with an eye to their area of responsibility and ensure optimal balancing across the game for player experience and creative goals.
- Understand overall creative vision of a game and contribute to it through core system implementation.
- Collaborate with peers and help guide junior designers.
- 5+ years of game design experience, with significant experience on mobile F2P titles (ideally from development through live operations).
- Proven success in game development with significant design responsibility on combat features.
- Deep knowledge of game design principles such as design theory and methodologies, directing player experience, player behavior and motivation, game progression and pacing, world-building, etc.
- Understanding of the mobile F2P game landscape, including competitive products and trends. Skill at deconstructing competitive game design elements and understanding the correlation with player experience and satisfaction. Can effectively communicate insights to leads and the team.
- Understanding of how different development disciplines (engineering, art, QA, etc.) work and how their inputs contribute to feature development.
- Demonstrable initiative and ownership over significant features and contribution to overall game design and final product.
- Strong ability to communicate design concepts verbally, in written format, or visually to other disciplines.
- Strong skill in mocking up design features using appropriate tools, such as MS Office, Photoshop, Maya/Max, Confluence, internal wikis, etc.
- Deep understanding of mobile RPG games like AFK Arena, Summoners War, Marvel Strike Force, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes or similar.
- Deep knowledge of major Warner Brothers intellectual property, such as DC Entertainment super-heroes.
- Degree in field that contributes to game design a plus.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.