At Visual Concepts, we believe great games are made by diverse and empowered teams with a shared passion for play. As one of the world’s top game development studios, we have shipped over 100 multi-sku titles to critical acclaim and commercial success. Our teams are independent and entrepreneurial. Our studios in Agoura Hills, Novato, Orange County, Budapest, Shanghai, Austin, San Jose, Vancouver and Seoul are committed to artistry and technical innovation, offering top candidates the opportunity to learn and grow with some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
What We Need:
Our Novato, CA headquarters is seeking a new member of the production team to work on NBA 2K’s beloved career mode (MyCAREER), which let’s gamers develop their player on a journey to NBA stardom. Get involved from the ground-level with design, implementation, and playtesting for one of the world's most popular games.
What You Will Do:
- Brainstorm, design, and iterate on everything related to MyCAREER, from narrative storylines to career-boosting mechanics to game-enhancing modes and features that add significant richness to gameplay
- Work closely with various members of the development team to bring features to life from the ground up
- Work with engineers to implement various MyCAREER flow and systems
- Contribute to playtesting, feedback, and other design elements over the course of the development cycle
- Communicate designs clearly by way of documentation, visual guides, and group discussions
- Follow through with all work from early prototypes to final implementation and bug testing
- Learn, grow, and evolve with the other members of the production team as we strive to make a fun and unique NBA 2K experience each year
Who Will Be a Great Fit:
- 1-2 years of game design training is ideal, but not required
- An NBA fan who is familiar with the sport, the players, and the history
- Passionate about video games (not just ours!)
- Familiarity with the NBA 2K series
- Understanding of various methods of game design execution: mechanisms, progression, balance, tuning, etc.
- Gamer-level familiarity with game design fundamentals including communication, motivation, learning, pacing, and flow
- Able to take initiative and be proactive rather than reactive, as well as think and adjust quickly when needed
- Can work to specification and to schedule, in an existing pipeline or a brand new one
- Not afraid to speak your mind and willing to share your opinions and ideas, including backing them up as needed