PLAY, GROW and WIN
To be a part of Virtuos means to be a creator and aim at excellence.
At Virtuos, we harness the latest technologies to make video games better and more immersive than ever before. That is why we pride ourselves in constantly pushing the boundaries of possibility since our founding in 2004.
Virtuosi are a team of experts – people who have come together to share their mutual passion for producing high-quality games. People who share the same enthusiasm in exploring new ideas and the constant drive to excel in their field. People who believe in earning success through dedication.
As a group, Virtuos has become a recognised leader in its field, has been growing faster than its peers have in recent years, and is pursuing an aggressive global expansion strategy. To this end, we are seeking an experienced Art Director who can join our team and help pave the way towards our new goals.
About the position
As an experienced leader in game development, a natural communicator confident in guiding teams to success, the Art Director is an inspiration to the artists on the team. Setting the vision and direction, they support and lead the team to achieve the highest quality, making artists feel proud of their own work and shipping awesome games together!
Having a good track record of game development and experience leading a team, the Art Director will work on exciting projects for the latest Consoles and PC, working with the latest engines and technology.
- Manage Junior and Senior Artists of different art disciplines on exciting new game projects
- Foster positivity and team spirit to build a strong cohesive team
- Identifying and nurturing new and existing high potential artists, participating in recruitment and planning for expansion and personnel career growth
- Lead and inspire creative processes within a team from concept to final product
- Focus on visual development and set the vision and quality bar for the team
- Regular art reviews to ensure quality, consistency and ensure the product meets the vision
- Demonstrate solid conceptual, visualisation and prototyping skills
- Expected to either create or follow existing art direction of games titles
- Help establish the art production pipeline, working closely with production, design, and engineering
- Instilling best practices in the team and cross-studio through mentoring and sharing best practice
- Reviewing artwork from the team and making sure deliverables meet expectations of the highest quality of artistic and technical standards
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Graphic Design or related major preferred, but outstanding portfolios and a proven industry record will also be considered
- Excellent experience in one or more mainstream 3D packages (Maya, 3Ds Max, Photoshop, Zbrush, Substance Painter/Designer, etc.) and well versed in creating and optimising art pipelines
- Understanding of PBR workflow (PBR: Physically-based Rendering)
- Good understanding of User Interface, VFX, Modelling, Character development and Animation
- Strong aptitude in multiple traditional artistic disciplines to complement directorial credibility
- Highly organised individual with experience in managing creative teams and effective collaborators with other disciplines
- Passionate about game development and able to exercise game sensibility when making artistic decisions
- Inspiring communicator, able to steer the team to achieve awesome results
- In-sync with current demands and with the foresight into future trends and emerging technologies
- At least 10 years’ experience with various game styles including AAA titles across major platforms and a proven project completion record
- Experience working within game editors such as UE4 and Unity, for Console PC and mobile
- Awareness and record of creating games on time and within a budget
- Both self-organised and able to organise others, will have a good understanding of time management
- At least 4 years’ experience as a Senior Artist, Lead Artist or Art Team Leader and a proven record of supervising a team to greater competency and efficiency
- Good working knowledge of English is a must and bilingual in Mandarin Chinese is an advantage