Visual & User Experience Designer
As a user experience designer at Valve, you will join a world-class group of software engineers, business leaders, and designers who are continually creating and releasing social entertainment experiences to players around the globe. We're hoping to add your expertise in visual communication, user experience design, usability, writing, and marketing to our team.
Valve is an entertainment and technology company driven to design and deliver extraordinary entertainment experiences to customers. We hire people with broad skill sets who also exhibit deep expertise. Every designer at Valve contributes in a wide variety of ways: We define and articulate goals, we design and publish user interfaces, architectures, layouts, and graphics, we devise and implement user studies, we write press releases and blog posts, we manage projects, and much more. We also recruit designers like you.
At Valve, our design process hits full swing once our products are in customers' hands. Our best work is the result of an ongoing dialog with customers. This is fundamental to the way we create great products. Through years of shipping software as a service through Steam (our digital distribution platform) we've learned the value of including our customers throughout the entirety of this process. With an engaged community of millions of users, you'll have opportunities to improve your work based on what you learn.
Do you prefer to collaborate with peers to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply following a vision that's been set for you? If you're seeking an opportunity to steer product definition, functional exploration and design decision-making, consider joining Valve. We can't wait to see where you'll take us!
An online portfolio of work which demonstrates
- Experience launching consumer products and services while iterating based on customer feedback
- Multiple case studies of released products and your influence upon them
- Strategic product and forward thinking that informs your intentional, meaningful decisions
- A customer-centered approach, with a confidence in making users happy despite (or even thanks to) constraints
- Graphic design utilized as a communication and problem-solving tool
Experience and skills which demonstrate
- A proven track record of using design as a tool to lead in a multidisciplinary environment
- An ability to be self-critical and improve your work based on feedback
- A detailed understanding of graphic and user interaction design principles (especially typography), and the desire to build your designs with a personal commitment to quality and a preternatural attention to detail
- Your interest in user feedback, and an understanding of data collection and analysis to inform decisions and iteration
A Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent work experience) in Graphic, Industrial, Interaction Design, or a similar area of expertise