Technical Game Designer
Valkyrie Entertainment, located in downtown Seattle, is currently looking for a Technical Game Designer to join our development team to help us deliver games that are high-quality, exciting, and most importantly, great player experiences!
Our debut title, Guns Up!™, published by Sony, was developed and released for Playstation 4 and Steam. We are currently partnered with a AAA studio co-developing a multiplayer co-op action game in Unreal 4.
As a Technical Game Designer, you have a passion for games and the creation of compelling and satisfying player experiences. You are multifaceted and self-motivated with experience implementing content for shipped game projects utilizing a combination of creative and technical design skills.
Daily Tasks and Responsibilities
- Take ownership and responsibility for rapid prototyping of gameplay, level scripting and contributing to overall game balance in a highly iterative process.
- Work closely with Design, Engineering, and Art team members to create functional, fun and visually compelling worlds and gameplay experiences.
- Creation and support of clear and organized Blueprint scripts in UE4.
- Determine the best way to prototype, and plan the transition of script to code later in development
- Deliver clear and concise engineering-ready product specs.
- Integrate polished and satisfying feedback into gameplay systems through art, VFX, and audio hookups, collaborating successfully with these departments to integrate their work.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production and development, providing constructive insight and feedback when needed.
- 3+ years of professional experience as a Technical Designer or a related role, with at least one shipped title (PC, Console, or Mobile)
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to produce AAA quality work
- Extensive use and knowledge of Unreal 4 Engine - including Blueprints, Behavior Tree, Sequencer, UMG, and/or level streaming
- Good methodology and problem solving ability, with a focus on rapid iteration to achieve balance, pacing, and fun.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of concepts
- Experience crafting exciting and engaging level design, including puzzles and story missions.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment
- Effective communicator and collaborator with engineers and developers from other disciplines, along with willingness to lead focused multidisciplinary efforts.
- A natural curiosity for all aspects of game development and a willingness to work on a wide variety of game systems.
- Working in native C++ code or debugging using Visual Studio
- Experience working on networked UE4 games and working knowledge of UE4's replication system
- Deep understanding of game design for third person combat, including design for competitive and cooperative multiplayer games
- Knowledge of Agile Methodology, JIRA, Perforce, etc
- Ability to work full time in our Seattle, WA studio