Director of esports
Fundamental Objectives of this Position:
The University of Mount Union invites applicants for the full-time position of Director of esports. Under the supervision of the Dean of Students and serving as a member of the student affairs team, this position is responsible for coordinating all facets of the University’s esports program.
The Candidate must have excellent oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills; outstanding organizational abilities; demonstrated experience in the successful coordination of and/or participation in esports; and interest and willingness to be part of the student affairs team.
Holding true to the principles of a liberal arts experience, the coach will implement a successful plan for members of the esports team to be fully immersed in the campus culture and community; including, but not limited to, active membership and participation in a student organization outside of esports and participating in established community service each year.
This person is expected to exercise judgment and to make decisions considered appropriate and necessary to provide the designated support and services for the esports program, consulting with the Dean of Students and other campus constituents as needed.
- Lead and coordinate UMU esports programs and activities.
- Serve as a member of the Student Affairs team and ensure that all facets of esports are undertaken in accordance with University and other pertinent regulations and guidelines.
- Assist the Admission/Enrollment Office in recruiting efforts to identify and maintain optimal squad/team sizes; this function will include travel to meet and recruit potential students as well as participation in various planned visitation and tryout days.
- Represent Student affairs as a member of various University committees as requested.
- Maintain calendar for appointments with students, prospective students/families, campus colleagues, and external constituents.• Schedule events, coordinate services, and reserve facilities/equipment as needed.
- Coordinate travel arrangements required for pre-trip paperwork and post-trip documentation.
- Oversee and utilize departmental budget and plan for organizational financial needs.
- Work closely with various campus offices including, but not limited to: admission/enrollment services, marketing, and public relations, recreation/intramurals, camps/conferences, Information technologies, and physical plant.
- Coordinate community services projects involving the esports team.
- Assist with training and supervision of staff/volunteers – including student staff.
- Manage time, expectations, and set priorities for teams.
- Establish a highly visible esports presence at the University of Mount Union.
- Plan, organize, and direct practices and competitions for various teams.
- Uphold expectations for the conduct and behavior of teams.
- Maintain current and updated knowledge regarding rules and regulations of the Great Lakes Esports Conference and National Esports Collegiate Conference.
- Communicate technology & equipment needs to VP for Student Affairs, prepare anticipated replacement cycle for equipment, furniture, etc.
- Prepare competition and game schedules and coordinate all logistical needs (facilities, equipment/set-up, marketing/promotion, etc.)
- Monitor and document the involvement of team members in student organizations on campus.
- Collaborate with individual members of each squad to provide resources and support toward optimal academic success – work with campus offices as needed.
- Work with the Admission/Enrollment Services staff to develop and implement a systemic approach for recruiting team members – including site visits, campus visits, tryout events, and individual recruitment follow-up activities; assist with the development of pertinent recruitment materials.
- Coordinate and document all recruitment activities through admission and financial aid processes and databases.
- Establish a network of affiliations with high schools.
- Make final determinations regarding esports scholarships.
- Recruit, hire, supervise, and evaluate assistant coaches, student staff, volunteers, and graduate assistants.
- Work with UMU advancement and business affairs staff when fund-raising and/or gift opportunities might exist.
- Explore opportunities to host esports clinics, events, and competitions on campus.
- Foster relationships with vendors and other outside stakeholders.
- Coordinate broadcast and livestream (experience with OBS or vMix preferred).
- Manage social media channels for any outward facing communication for the program.
A bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) and significant experience playing/advising/coaching esports program(s). The candidate must have excellent oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills; outstanding organizational abilities; demonstrated experience in the successful completion of multiple projects and responsibilities; and interest and willingness to be part of the University and student affairs team. In addition to familiarity with online gaming technologies, the candidate must have the necessary skill to effectively utilize administrative computer systems, such as Microsoft Office products, campus databases and the Internet. Weekend and evening hours will be required as part of the position.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all- inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. When requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The University of Mount Union is an equal-opportunity employer. The University prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, marital or parental status, pregnancy, disability, or genetic information in student admissions, financial aid, educational or athletic programs, or employment as now or may hereafter be required by university policy and federal or state law.
This position is required to complete assigned University compliance training as communicated by the University.