Senior Graphics Engineer - Ray Tracing
Do you enjoy empowering creative talent with cutting-edge graphics tools, workflows, and features? Would you like to design and implement rendering algorithms that can demonstrate the ever growing power of graphics hardware on current and future platforms? Are you excited to engage directly with development customers to gather requirements, obtain feedback, and iterate new systems to a polished sheen? Take pride in your ability to propose coherent solutions to complex problems involving multiple customer groups and tricky technology constraints. Get to work on daring visuals that inspire generations to come, sitting next to top industry talent, at a company that cares deeply about work-life balance.
Imagine a team of developers crafting amazing AAA-quality content all by themselves! Imagine an artist, freed from the tedium of repetitive tasks, unconstrained by manual processes, driven only by their creativity to fulfill their vision. That is the world we at Unity want to create. And we need your help to create it.
Experience the excitement of Unity real-time graphics by exploring samples from our projects from the Book of the Dead, Adam: Episode 1, Episode 2 and Episode 3, the Automotive Reveal, The Big Hero 6 series (Baymax Dreams of Too Many Baymaxes, Baymax Dreams of Bed Bugs, Baymax Dreams of Evil Sheep), the Spaceship Demo, and the Megacity Demo, as well as the Neon demo. Stay tuned for more amazing graphics coming in the near future!
As a senior graphics engineer on the lighting team at Unity, you will be involved in the research, design, and development of the systems and rendering innovations for our ray-tracing technology. We specialize in solving the challenges around efficient light-transport optimized for many platforms.
In this position, you will focus on state-of-the-art rendering methodologies such as path tracing, acceleration structures, heterogeneous compute and importance sampling. You will have a direct impact on how ray-tracing is taken to the next level in Unity. This is a permanent position at Unity in which we hope for you to join our family of developers and grow into a key contributor.
What you'll be doing
- Collaborate on the design and implementation of a ray tracing and denoising engine optimized for GPUs across multiple desktop platforms
- Use the latest graphics techniques and modern APIs, such as Compute Shaders, Optix, Embree and Radeon Rays, to help us build a ray tracing framework for the Unity Engine
- Collaborate with application developers and technical artists to define and implement ray traced rendering pipelines for offline and real-time applications
- Profile and optimize our ray traced rendering pipelines to ensure we deliver outstanding results and performance
What we're looking for
- Strong knowledge of graphics pipelines, rendering techniques and the underlying math
- Track record of designing robust APIs and libraries and writing clean code
- Experience with high performance ray-tracing and denoising techniques
- Good understanding of GPU microarchitectures, GPGPU programming, GPU profiling and optimizations
- Strong cross-platform, multi-threaded, C++ programming skills
You might also have
- Have worked on a production path tracer
- Practical experience implementing acceleration structures for ray tracing
- Experience programming in C# and HLSL
- Used data oriented design to create high performance code
- Experience with low-level graphics and GPGPU APIs like D3D12, Vulkan and Cuda
Life at Unity
Unity is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,400+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.