Senior World Artist
If you love creating believable worlds with stunning vistas, fascinating locations, and curious details, we want to talk to you! Undead Labs is looking for a versatile and passionate Senior World Artist to inspire the stories, evoke emotion, and amplify gameplay for our millions of fans. In this highly cross-functional and collaborative role, you will help create immersive player experiences with other artists, tech artists, world designers, narrative designers, and other game developers.
At Undead Labs, we work in highly collaborative, cross-discipline teams because we understand that the best ideas are ones we generate together. We are creators of the hit survival-fantasy franchise State of Decay played by millions, and we operate independently as part of a network of studios now owned by Microsoft. We have a rich history of entrepreneurship and empowerment that will carry us forward as we reach new levels of quality, ambition, and polish.
Responsibilities & Objectives:
- Compose and stage engaging world sets to look stunning, perform well, support game design, and tell compelling stories.
- Create and integrate a wide variety of world content from props, modular sets, customizable prefabs, buildings, and large locations.
- Create amazing natural landscapes and organic props using workflows and techniques such as Speedtree and Megascans.
- Partner with technical artists to develop procedural asset creation like roads/sidewalks, fences, power poles, bridges, cliffs, landscape shapes, rivers, etc.
- Apply your knowledge of contemporary PBR material and texture workflows to create content for all aspects of the world creation effort.
- Collaborate with outsourcing partners to provide guidance and support feedback loops.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience (Core Traits)
- Ideally brings 5-8 years of experience in the games industry as a world artist.
- Self-motivated problem solver with the ability to own and drive the development of mid to large-sized projects from grey box to finish.
- Experienced working with AAA game engines, tools, and contemporary development practices with the drive and passion to keep up with emerging tools and technologies.
- Production experience with major DCC software tools such as Photoshop, Maya, Substance Painter & Designer, zBrush.
- Solid understanding of PBR materials and lighting.
- Advanced high and low-resolution modeling skills for hard-surface, organic & architectural content creation.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Strong sense of architectural and historic building design.
- Experienced with modular and procedural content creation.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience developing open-world or large-scale environments.
- Experience working with outsourcing.
- Technically minded with knowledge of processes such as photogrammetry, Houdini, physics, dynamic weather & lighting, vegetation deformation, customization, cloth, water, destructibles, etc.
Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting. Noise levels are low to moderate in the work environment. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Undead Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
We look forward to hearing from you!