Multiplayer Software Engineer
This position reports to the Engineering Manager.
A senior individual contributor position focused on the creation of technical solutions for compelling multiplayer gameplay. As a member of the software engineering team, you will be accountable for designing and implementing systems to support peer-to-peer gameplay modes for an ambitious unannounced game project in the Unreal Engine. If you enjoy developing techniques to facilitate robust multiplayer simulations, working with networking and replication models and integrating with online platform services to provide rich communal interactions among players, this position may be a great fit for you. Your skills in software development and debugging, systems architecture, as well as documenting engineering practices will be critical to your success. As a senior software engineer on the team, you will tackle complex software engineering challenges, lead by example, and support other engineers in the domain in order to help us create a truly amazing online experience for our millions of fans.
At Undead Labs, we work in highly collaborative, cross-discipline teams because we understand that the best ideas are ones we generate together. We are creators of the hit survival-fantasy franchise State of Decay, played by millions, and we operate independently as part of a network of first-party Microsoft studios. We have a rich history of entrepreneurship and empowerment that will carry us forward as we reach new levels of quality, ambition, and polish.
Core Responsibilities & Objectives
Shape the direction and implementation of our online technology within Unreal Engine 4.
- Develop software systems and infrastructure to enable multiplayer gameplay experiences, including game session management, matchmaking, peer-to-peer gameplay support, and community features.
- Drive the development of engineering practices related to multiplayer systems, bring a security mindset to tasks, and foster the development of networking expertise in your fellow developers.
- Interface with cloud service middleware and partners.
- Collaborate across disciplines on the iterative development and timely delivery of game features
- Ideally has 4 to 8 years of experience in a software engineer role.
Core Traits and Experience
Experience with C++ and software development methodology.
- Experience with the development of peer-to-peer networking models or game features (such as session management, matchmaking, peer coordination).
- Skill at long-range planning of software systems.
- A self-starter with the ability to make progress in the face of ambiguity, gathering data and performing analysis needed to justify decisions.
- Willingness to investigate and engage with new problems.
- A track record of working through the full life-cycle of at least one software project, including post-ship live service support.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience with Xbox Live, PlayFab or similar services.
- Experience with console game development.
Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting.
Noise levels are low to moderate in the work environment.
Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Undead Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
We look forward to hearing from you!