With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and they have just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
As a VFX Artist at Ubi Quebec, you will deliver visually impressive moments that positively influence gameplay and enhance the player experience. Be it smoke, fire, an explosion, falling snow, or a waterfall, every one of your effects accents the immersive game world – and often has people wondering, “How did you do that?”
As a tech-savvy artist, you combine technology and creativity to make the magic happen. You can adapt to a variety of tools while relying on your core talent to create and integrate impactful, high quality, real-time visual effects.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with the core team to understand the overall creative vision and establish visual effect priorities.
- Create environment and cinematic effects using particle systems and textures you produce.
- Partner with programmers to assess needs and develop tools.
- Work within technical constraints to craft attractive and functional effects.
- Integrate your created VFX into the engine.
- Develop effects based on play test results and comments from cross-functional team members (debug and optimize).
- Adapt to feedback received from the community after live launch (in some cases), balancing expectations with limitations.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Visual Effects, 3D Animation, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset) .
- At least 3 years of experience in modelling, texturing, lighting, image processing, or related experience.
- Knowledge of 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), compositing software (e.g. After Effects or Nuke), 3D software (e.g. Maya or 3DS Max), and game editors (e.g. Unity or Unreal) * .
- An understanding of basic vector math and art fundamentals (lighting, composition, proportion, colour theory, etc.).
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it.
- A creative and collaborative spirit.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- A keen eye for detail.
*Knowledge of procedural generation software (e.g. Houdini) & shader writing and optimization a huge plus.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills.
- A demo reel with a breakdown of your best work – seriously, show us your process! Attach samples or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio.
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
*Please note that the response time and analysis of applications will be longer from December 20, 2021 to January 17, 2022 due to the holidays. Please be assured that your application will be considered and that a member of the recruitment team will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you and happy holidays.