User Experience (UX) Director
CREATOR OF WORLDS
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us Create the unknown.
Opening its doors in July 2008, Ubisoft Singapore features the largest AAA studio in Southeast Asia and is home to a culture that celebrates serious fun and diversity. As proud innovators of naval gameplay and water technology, we’re super excited to be the lead studio in bringing a brand-new IP to you – Skull and Bones! Our other notable works include every Assassin’s Creed game since Assassin’s Creed II, with our latest Viking adventure being Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
YOUR DAILY ADVENTURE
As a UX Director, you’ll work closely with your fellow core team members to define a game’s core player experience and provide strategic guidance on design throughout production and post-launch.
To deliver the best end-to-end player experience possible, you’ll collaborate with development teams and concentrate on three main aspects:
- Advocating for UX: You’ll establish user-centric principles and ensure their implementation.
- Ensuring optimal usability: You’ll remove unwanted friction across the player journey, with a focus on onboarding, tutorials, game flow, player comfort, signs & feedback, 3Cs, progression, UI, ergonomic principles, affordance, accessibility, etc.
- Boosting engage-ability: You’ll enhance player motivation and engagement by leveraging personas, cognitive and social psychology, self-determination theory etc.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
ANALYSIS & RESEARCH
- Anticipate player needs and goals by defining personas with the core team;
- Contribute to writing creative briefs based on player goals and personas to ensure user-centricity;
- Partner with the user research team to oversee a user tests strategic plan from conception to live game operations, based on team priorities, design pillars, and UX objectives.
- Set experiential goals aligned with creative briefs and define associated;
- Set production UX pipelines to support user-centricity and usability;
- Promote and adopt a data-informed decision-making process by harnessing player data;
- Define and ensure compliance with accessibility requirements related to legal, editorial, and project guidelines.
- Promote user-centricity among the core team in their decision-making processes and focus, positively influencing content quality and user experience;
- Be a spokesperson for UX-related topics and a reference for user-centric principles, ensuring they’re communicated to and understood by team members at every level.
- Review and ensure compliance with design documentation, from conception to implementation, ensuring that user experience is properly executed;
- Define the user’s onboarding strategy and coordinate teams’ related work;
- Be accountable for the strategy and integration of core player experience elements, like signs & feedback, gameplay features (world maps, controls remapping, etc.);
- Oversee the design logic, layout, and flow of all in-game user interface elements, including HUD, menus, and lobbies.
- Advise and mentor team members, set realistic goals, and seek out learning opportunities;
- Lead the team in defining the user goals on the project and collaborate with other disciplines to ensure the features achieve them;
- Help and guide the team to produce clear and effective design documentation.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Good knowledge and understanding in UX design methodologies and its approaches;
- Be an advocate and ambassador for the team and their features and the sharing of information from them;
- Able to create, manage and track work for a team of designers and have a strong knowledge of the relevant tools to do so;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate with impact whilst promoting an open dialogue with your team;
- Good time management and prioritization skills of your own and the teams time;
- Proactive, self-motivated and comfortable making difficult decisions;
- Significant involvement in either multiple game titles or projects in the design discipline, preferably a full cycle on a AAA title or equivalent;
- Experience of either mentoring or managing people;
JOIN THE SQUAD
Making games is serious business, but it's very important for us to have fun while creating awesome worlds so that we can convey the same sense of joy to millions of players in the world.
Come on board and experience #LifeAtUbi for yourself, we are always on the lookout for talents who thrive in bringing their A-game to work. If this sounds like you, shoot us your resume, portfolio, and anything else to show that you’re serious about fun!