Technical Director, Animation
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading the development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
On being a Technical Director, Animation at Ubisoft Toronto
With a high-level understanding of the capabilities of our technology combined with your visibility on the project as a whole, as a Technical Animation Director at UbiTO, you provide expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – towards success.
Unafraid to innovate, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice. Though every day of development brings its own mix of both expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
Type of Position: Permanent, Full Time.
The daily life of a Technical Director, Animation at Ubisoft Toronto
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility;
- Review game design concepts + identify and analyze risks (engine, memory, frame rate, etc.);
- Work closely with programmers to assess existing animation and rigging tools + occasionally design custom ones to improve pipelines;
- Support animators, game designers, and riggers with their technical needs + informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks, blockers, etc;
- Train team members on tools and techniques + raise awareness of new processes;
- Resolve complex escalated issues & make technical validations;
- Prepare post-mortems + to recommend cost- and time-efficient solutions to evolve our animation content & tech;
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios and the industry;
- Participate in recruitment to build the animation team & foster their professional development.
What it takes to make it
- An undergraduate degree in 3D Animation, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent;
- At least 7 years of animation, rigging, or programming experience (or related experience) + 3 years of leadership;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, time management, organizational, and presentation skills;
- A highly innovative, collaborative, attentive, and solution-oriented spirit;
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility;
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce);
- A passion for sharing your knowledge and helping others learn and grow.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and games shipped
- Please feel free to send us samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews and salary increases to help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
We host regular team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives including yoga, on-site occupational therapy, flexible work hours, and continuing programs to promote a balanced life.
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community and is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.