As a Technical Artist at Ubisoft MTL, you will join the Helix service team specialized in the production of cinematic videos and imagery for all games developed at our Canadian Studios such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow Six, For Honor and many more.
The Technical Art team is part of Helix’s Technological Operations department. Its mission is to capacitate all graphic and cinematic productions through the design of artistic workflows and technical pipelines. It also provides direct support and industry expertise services to all of Helix’s artists.
Technical Artists are responsible for supporting 2D/3D, realtime (in-game, in-engine) and pre-rendered (offline) graphic and cinematic productions. They possess extensive knowledge of digital creation tools such as Maya, 3ds Max, Mobu and more. Each person brings a unique set of skills to help VFX artists and Illustrators produce their best work.
Here is what you will do on a daily basis :
Tooling & Production Mandate Pipelines
- Participate in Tooling and Pipeline meetings by sharing expertise and information about artists reality
- Act as consultants for the production of tooling and pipeline test plans
- Test tool and pipeline prototypes, retrieve end user feedback before release to production
- Train artists for our tools and pipelines
- Perform asset extractions from game engines and prepare the files for use at Helix
- Mentor and train VFX artists and Illustrators
- Document best practices
- Gather information about artist needs and suggest ways to make our pipeline/tools better
- Script shelf or simple productivity tools (mandate specific) *not mandatory *
- Analyze and Reproduce bugs and document
What you bring
- Career training in VFX or Game Design/Programming
- A minimum of 3 years experience using 3dsMax, Maya and/or Mobu.
- Experience in digital art content creation - high and low-poly modeling, unwrapping, baking, texturing, level art, etc.
- A strong portfolio or demo reel
- Solid understanding of art and animation pipelines
- Experience or understanding of rendering and post-effects, rigging and animation and physics simulations
- Shader development experience
- Artistic skills - proportion, color, composition
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with differences between creative and technical teams
An asset but not required
- Knowledge of high-end coding / scripting languages and digital content creation software APIs (Python, C++, MEL, MaxScript, TCL)
- Familiarity with game systems and the game development process
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your experience, education, and skills
Creating the unknown since 1997. At Ubisoft Montreal, we’re united by a common goal: to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We develop iconic franchises that engage millions around the world, like Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, For Honor, Rainbow Six, Watch Dogs – and, well, we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet.
Our biggest strength is – and always will be – our people: the immensely talented team members surrounding, supporting, and producing the high-quality games that have made our studio what it is today.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection: an environment with a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being. Here, our shared desire to dream big, take risks, and constantly improve contributes to the innovation and boundary-pushing that ultimately leads to our collective success.