Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us Create the Unknown.
Ubisoft Halifax is looking for a new addition to our Programming Team! As a Senior Unity Programmer, you will be counted on to provide expert Unity best practices in game development. You’ll be working with a talented team of Unity developers and server-side developers to design innovative solutions for triple-A mobile games. You will work closely with the lead in helping to guide programming decisions, and ultimately, to deliver the production vision.
Our studio is looking for an enthusiastic developer who loves games as much as the technology that drives them. This person will bring their curiosity, ingenuity, ongoing personal development, to a small, diverse and close-knit team.
- Design, implement and optimize maintainable code in C# within Unity
- Jump in and triage difficult programming problems
- Estimate task length and assist production in planning based on your expected risks, challenges and workload.
- Demonstrate a high level of autonomy in proactively addressing development issues during production
- Help mentor and assist more junior developers within the context of your project
- Develop, document, test and maintain highly accessible game systems and features in collaboration with remote programmers and designers
- Integrate third-party SDK technology in Unity
- Sync with production stakeholders to ensure clarity and that the team is meeting requirements
- Write clean code and help optimize it during those final all-important stages before it ships
- Contribute innovative and original ideas toward all aspects of the game’s production and development
Scope and Contribution
The Senior Unity Programmer is often the first stop of the Lead Programmer or more junior developers for information and guidance regarding implementation details. The Senior Unity Programmer may challenge the feasibility or long-term robustness of design and implementation choices. They may be asked for estimates or assign tickets to more junior developers, working closely with the Lead Programmer.
The Senior Programmer is expected to work 100% autonomously. Aside from working with the Lead Programmer or Production, it falls to them to ensure that what gets built is built with robustness and futureproofing in mind. The Senior Programmer helps to find the balance between getting it done fast and getting it done right.
- A graduate degree in Computer Science, college diploma or demonstrated experience.
- A minimum of 3+ years professional experience in game development with at least 2 shipped titles.
- Highly proficient in creating and developing game mechanics
- Experience with programming systems, gameplay, physics, animation and front end, with more in-depth knowledge of at least one of these areas.
- Applied of knowledge of using REST APIs from both a client and server perspective
- Able to work and understand modern CI/CD systems
- Strong object-oriented design skills and proficiency in C# programming and debugging
- Objective profiling, analysis and optimization skills
- Passion for creating and implementing good architectural solutions, not just writing code
- Passion and aptitude for game systems development
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices and common design patterns (e.g. S.O.L.I.D.)
- Working supportively within a team environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and diplomatically under pressure
- A sense of humour is also a must
- Excellent knowledge of game programming in Unity for at least one of the current platforms (IOS/Android)
- Experience in cross-platform development
- Experience in cross-studio development
- Experience with online/network gameplay systems
What we can offer you:
- Competitive salary scale
- Affordable gym membership
- Comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision care.
- Hybrid Work
- Flexible work hours and a healthy work/life balance
- The ability to work alongside a fun, diverse, and supportive team
- New and funky studio
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experience. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore and discover new possibilities.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas are given a chance to shine, and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge Accepted? Join us and create the unknown!
Our studio is located in the heart of the city (Halifax).The Halifax Harbour is in view from our windows and lunch breaks can be spent on the boardwalk or at one of the many restaurants and cafes that populate the downtown core. The studio culture is dynamic, with communication happening constantly between teams with an emphasis on team building and collaboration!
Halifax is to Canada, what Boston is to the States, a founding City full of forts, historic building and award-winning modern architecture. Being a city with three Universities, Halifax boasts tons of nightlife, world class restaurants, and for the outdoors types: unparalleled yet affordable outdoor adventures.
Ubisoft Halifax is the newest Ubisoft studio to take on the growing Mobile Game Market.
As Ubisoft’s first exclusively mobile studio, our focus is on originality and functionality. Creating new projects and developing flagship Ubisoft IPs. Our position on the tip of the East Coast is strategic in terms of studio efficiency (closest to European and American Time zones), and creativity (biggest game hub east of Montreal).
We Value Diversity!
Here at Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas are given a chance to shine and everyone is eager to lend a helping hand. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.