Senior Unity Multiplayer Programmer
Future Games of London is a Ubisoft studio that designs, develops and operates free-to-play mobile and digital console games. Founded in September 2009, FGOL create original and unique games such as the Hungry Shark series which has been enjoyed by over half a billion people worldwide.
We are a dedicated team with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy being part of a forward thinking studio in an exciting and ever-evolving industry.
Over the next 5 years, we expect to be typically developing two to three projects in parallel, with regularly scheduled new releases added to our catalogue.
The applicant will have excellent technical skills in Unity3D development, with industry experience in developing multiplayer solutions for Unity.
You will help us to develop our in-house solution for supporting mobile multiplayer games, working on a platform that will eventually support multiple diverse titles, launched globally. Your input will be an important part of our decision-making process both in a short-term technical sense, but also in bringing our longer-term roadmap to fruition.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re looking for a programmer with existing front-line experience in developing netcode for live multiplayer games (with a strong preference for mobile experience). You will have shipped several mobile Unity titles and at least one multiplayer game as a network programmer. A focus on performance and problem solving will be essential.
You will understand the importance of communicating with stakeholders, predicting (and communicating risk) and keeping an eye on future developments and opportunities.
What You Will Do
Daily development work will include developing our multiplayer solution, assisting our gameplay coders with integration and bug fixing. You will also liaise with our back-end team and have regular contact with stakeholders across the organisation.
- Architect and implement features of a mobile netcode solution
- Identify and manage potential risks, from various stakeholders’ perspectives.
- Work closely with the game team on multiplayer implementation
- Liase with our server team
- Write performant, re-usable code
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A love of quality in what we build
- Open minded and humble
- Flexible and adaptable to unfolding project need
- A strong network programmer with professional experience in writing netcode,
- Experience with Photon or similar, comparable multiplayer solutions
- Strong understanding of networking risks, solutions, and how they affect stakeholders.
- Strong communication and product leadership skills.
- Ability to plan and communicate multiplayer architecture decisions.
- Onboarding other developers (in other departments) with multiplayer best practices.
- Working with a small team of network engineers.
- Work with colleagues to define and execute on a long term roadmap
- A degree in Computer Science or the equivalent in experience.
- 3+ years of experience of Unity3D development in C#
- 2+ years of direct industry experience in programming network code for multiplayer games
COVID 19 note:
Both Ubisoft and FGOL are committed to the health and wellbeing of our staff. We are currently working remotely during the stages of lockdown the UK has been subject to. Our offices have been set up to meet strict health and safety standards appropriate to the challenges of COVID 19, and we currently keep any physical attendance to a minimum. Our policies are constantly reviewed and may change over time as the risk level varies.
Ubisoft FGOL offers its employees some great benefits which include:
- Flexible office working hours
- 25 days of annual leave + 8 UK Bank holiday + Christmas company day(s) off
- 1 day off if you get married (Wedding Day)
- Mobile and Table Allowance
- Game Allowance
- Duvet Day
- Personal Travel Allowance
- Home Office Furniture Loan Scheme
- Sick pay
- Fresh fruit selection delivered 3 times a week, Free monthly breakfasts, Team Lunches
- Beer fridge & Selected wines + other beverages
- Weekly Football, Snooker table, ping pong tournaments, poker nights, Office events, social gatherings, Fun Games room
- Birthday Cakes/Cards
- Summer & Christmas parties, Roof terrace area
- Training Budgets
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare, Reduced gym membership, life insurance, critical illness & Disability cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan (for tube/rail costs), Annual mobile phone/tablet allowance
- Profitability bonus
- Recruitment Referral Fee awards