Senior Character Artist [Splinter Cell VR] (f/m/d)
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has development studios in 28 countries and sells video games in more than 55 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to players. In our German studios in Düsseldorf, Mainz and Berlin, we are working on brands like “Anno”, “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege”, "Far Cry", James Cameron's "Avatar", "Beyond Good and Evil 2", “Assassin's Creed VR", "Splinter Cell VR" and many more.
We are looking for a Senior Character Artist (f/m/d) for the Düsseldorf team.
As a character artist you will be creating AAA characters and character related assets in our art production teams. You will be involved in the character creation process from start to finish, being responsible for sculpting, modeling, texturing and setting up characters for the VR game. You will be working closely together with Technical Artists and Animators to push the visual and technical quality to the next level.
This is a full-time, permanent position based in Düsseldorf, Germany which requires working onsite; no remote/freelance work is available.
- Development of high-quality AAA characters and character related 3D assets in a realistic art style
- Setting up and maintaining character production pipelines
- Close collaboration with the Art Director and Lead Artist to work within the visual style of the game
- Balance quality and efficiency of work to gain the best possible results within in the given time frame and technical constraints
- Ability to skillfully optimize characters to game-ready quality for a VR title
- Create high quality character models and textures
- Ensure performance and technical quality of 3D character assets
- Setup dynamics, meta data and create skinning for character meshes
- Integration of character assets into the game engine
- Cooperation with other Ubisoft teams globally on a daily basis
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience as a character artist in game development, with at least one AAA title shipped
- Exceptional understanding of next gen asset creation workflows with the ability to improve them, then optimize as required for final VR product.
- Very good skills in Zbrush, at least one of the major 3D modeling packages (Maya, 3DS Max) and Photoshop.
- Knowledge of Substance Designer / Painter and Marvelous Designer
- Strong sculpting, texturing and painting skills
- Ability to create highly realistic characters that meet AAA standards
- Very good working knowledge with at least one AAA game engine
- Having worked with scanned data is a plus.
- Good Animation and/or riggings skills are a plus (Maya, 3DS Max, MotionBuilder)
- Fluent in English, both verbally and written (No German is required to work in our studio)
To apply for this opportunity you must include your resume, portfolio link and a cover letter detailing your earliest starting date, salary expectations and motivation.
The art style of this franchise is realistic, please include a demonstration of your realistic art skills in your portfolio.
Ensure the links to your portfolio are easy to find and still working.
Preferred portfolio platform: Artstation.
Any shared drives portfolio should have access granted.
- Relocation Support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance.
- 26 days paid vacation per year. Additionally, you will get half a day off on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and approximately 11 bank holidays.
- Flexible Working Hours: We have core working times between 10:00 AM – 04:00 PM and the distribution of the other hours is up to you.
- Development Support: Leadership training, workshops, guest speakers from the industry, online Ubisoft learning platform, coaches, paid self-study hours and library.
- Free German Classes; The business language in the studio is English. No German is required to work with us, this class is an optional benefit.
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month. In addition, we also offer 5 ‘care for ill children days’ per child per year.
- Company Pension Scheme.
- 50% Health Insurance Contribution
- Paid Sick Leave
- Gym Subsidy
- Monthly Travel Budget
- Discounted Ubisoft Games
- & more
Living in Düsseldorf
Düsseldorf is a very international city close to the border of Germany famous for it's Japanese culture. With a Japanese gardens, "Little Tokyo" area for Asian cuisine and celebrating Japan Day along the River Rhine each year. Art Galleries and Museums can be found as well as the "Old City" - a lively area of bars and restaurants amongst traditional German architecture. Two hours from Paris, Amsterdam, the UK and Hamburg - an excellent location to explore Europe even on a weekend. A large Deer park offers a natural sanctuary for those needing a break from the city life. More rural and suburban areas surround the city for those looking for a more relaxed pace.
If you are passionate about video games and would like to work with like-minded professionals in an international team, please apply via our career portal.