With a team of more than 500 talented, innovative and passionate creators, Ubisoft Quebec keeps on growing and continues its ascension. Founded in 2005, the studio has been involved in several key Ubisoft franchises over the years, developing cutting-edge expertise in major AAA game development. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec team recently assumed the leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the latest installment in the critically acclaimed series. The team has just finished working on a brand new game, Immortals Fenyx Rising.
As a realization director at Ubisoft Quebec, you ensure the delivery of high-quality realization for all cinematic, dialog, and key in-game cinematic elements. You are an expert in creating memorable WOW moments, bringing emotion into the game experience, and ensuring the quality of major story beats are AAA. You possess a high-level expertise in promoting and overseeing collaboration between narration, design, artistic, audio, and technical staff to create intense and engaging emotional experiences. You are knowledgeable of every discipline needed to deliver AAA realization, but not necessarily an expert in all of them. You work in close collaboration with project directors, managers, and the technology leads to develop important technology needed to deliver top notch realization in dialogs and cinematics – with a focus on in-game dialogs over cinematics.
What you'll do
- Focus on bringing AAA quality for the realization of dialogs, cinematics, and key in-game cinematic moments including :
- Camera placement, motion, DOF, and framing
- Character and facial rigging and overall acting and visual quality
- Facial movements, emotions, eye tracking, etc.
- Physics, rigged objects, and cloth sim
- Lighting, FX, and HDR
- Plan, develop, and follow through production all technologies or artistic pipelines required to achieve the quality bar for dialogs, cinematics, and key in-game cinematic moments including elements above
- Work with procedural systems to create consistently high-quality output for the vast quantity of dialogs needed in a huge open world game
- Work hand in hand with all relevant directors, leads, and staff (art, character, fx, audio, cin design, animation, technology, etc.) to ensure dialog, cinematic, and key in-game cinematic moments are fully realized and expertly delivered
- Provide feedback and support while working with production teams to meet quality objectives by the deadlines;
- Support the creative director’s vision by overseeing the cinematic elements that constitute the visual quality, tone, and flow of the experience;
- Participate in character ideation, bio creation, script lock, mocap preparation, mocap direction, and follow the animation integration to game;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
In general, here are our expectations in terms of leadership and human management
- Collaborate with members of the management team to develop the overall vision and help define the gaming experience.
- Communicate the vision and direction defined for the teams so that they can identify the objectives necessary to meet the expectations for the deliverables of the game.
- In Design, lead research, suggestions and prototypes to propose and substantiate recipes and confirm the direction of the game.
- In Production, review the results in the game and give feedback to the teams in order to guide them in achieving the desired quality objectives and validate the achievement of defined qualitative criteria.
- Work in collaboration with the management team and development teams to establish priorities and the feasibility of deliverables and adjust expectations as needed.
- Support problem solving and debug prioritization in collaboration with the team and the various stakeholders.
- Stay on the cutting edge of the latest developments in the industry, both technical and content levels, to encourage pipeline improvement, productivity and content quality.
- Mentor the employees under their responsibility
- Meet with employees under their responsibility regularly to give them feedback and help them progress
- Participate in the recruitment of new members of the team and ensure the integration of new employees
- Develop a culture of sharing and push for continuous improvement within its trade community
- Address conflict situations and behavioral issues by seeking support from the HR team or the team's production manager as needed
- Write the annual report and the end-of-project report of the employees under their responsibility and help them identify their growth path
- Help create a healthy, inclusive and positive work environment and escalate issues that could affect employees or the project as needed.
What you bring
- College diploma in a creative field or relevant training
- Bachelor’s degree an asset
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in game, multimedia, cinema and/or production products or any other relevant experience
- Mastery of cinematographic language, culture and pipeline
- Influence and positive leadership
- Open-mindedness and consensus-building skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong technical skills and extensive cinematographic knowledge
- Understanding of the cinematographic craft and ability to transfer this knowledge to interactive video games
- Good knowledge of level building, lighting, Fx, camera, audio, animation, etc. but not necessary to be an expert in all disciplines
- Solid understanding of video games and extensive video game culture
- Player-focused approach
What you send our way
- A portfolio
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, skills, and any games shipped and cover letter