As a Physics Programmer at Ubi MTL, you help deliver even more immersive gameplay experiences by adding realism to our worlds.
From character movements to destructible and dynamic environments, you mimic real-life outcomes as closely as possible, so that what goes on in-game occurs the way it’s expected to. You have flexibility in your work, the freedom to introduce new features, the opportunity to see them through to completion, and truly open up a world of possibilities for players to interact with.
What you’ll do
- Partner with your team lead to discuss project needs and ideas + assess technical feasibility.
- Work closely with AI, gameplay, and engine teams to transform a vision into accurate and authentic simulation experiences.
- Explore opportunities to push the capabilities of our physics engine to its fullest potential.
- Develop new and maintain existing physics features; writing, reviewing, and rewriting high-performance code.
- Collaborate with technical directors to discuss memory budgets and system limitations.
- Support artists and programmers in resolving complex problems, debugging, optimizing CPU and memory usage, etc.
- Be the owner of the physics library, keeping it up to date and organized.
- Document and share your physics programming knowledge + recommend our best practices.
What you bring
- An undergraduate degree in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
- At least 1-3 years of programming experience (physics, gameplay, AI, or engine an asset) or related experience *
- Proficiency in C/C++ & advanced mathematical and analytical capabilities
- Resourcefulness (you may not always have the answers, but you know where to find them)
- A collaborative and innovative spirit
- Experience with physics middleware (Havok and PhysX an asset)
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills (you’re comfortable talking to content creators and code-owners alike)
- An investigative approach to problem solving – you’re not one to just scratch the surface; you care to get to the root cause of issues and come up with long-term solutions to resolve them
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.