Ubisoft Future Games of London is a Ubisoft studio that designs, develops and operates free-to-play mobile and digital console games. Founded in September 2009, Ubisoft FGOL create original and unique games such as the Hungry Shark series which has been enjoyed by over half a billion people worldwide.
We are a dedicated team with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy being part of a forward thinking studio in an exciting and ever-evolving industry.
Over the next 5 years, we expect to be typically developing two to three projects in parallel, with regularly scheduled new releases added to our catalogue.
We are a Design Team with passion and creativity that pushes for unique gameplay experiences as part of a forward-thinking studio in an exciting, ever-evolving industry. We’re adding a team member to grow their career and thrive in a dynamic mobile gamemaking environment.
FGOL is looking for a zealous and talented Level Designer to join the Design Team with a focus on implementing content in Unity and contributing to documentation. This role will be essential to the next Hungry Shark sequel, and more responsibilities will emerge with time.
- Excitement for in-engine Unity implementation to create levels for a new Hungry Shark game
- Prototype, iterate, and polish geometry, camera paths, spawner setups, and scripted elements to hone gameplay for multiple shark characters and play objectives in a 3D world
- Expertise in-engine and on paper to create engaging architectural spaces and scenarios
- Place edible spawners, hazards, pinch-points, NPCs, and encounters, then balance these against BI player benchmarks and technical constraints to achieve consistency and fun
- Collaborate with artists, designers, and coders to create novel interactions that are enjoyable at 1st play as well as the 1,000th+ time; deploy a mix of fixed design and sandbox styles
- Improve designs by integrating on feedback from play testers and cross functional teammates
- Comfort with game KPIs, how to impact them, and the importance of monetization design
- Appreciation of action, arcade fast-paced gameplay, game sessions and feedback loops
- Plays mobile games as a personal pursuit or hobby, and has spent money in mobile f2p games
- Organised and methodical approach to game design expressed through level design; ability to understand the creative direction of the game and harness into the creation of a level
- Recognize your needs for creating levels, scenarios, and game flow states, then vocalize types of support required; this includes the ability to identify and estimate tasks in a team setting
- Good analytic and synthetic abilities; over-communicate to ensure results.
- Motivation to work within a small structure, navigate ambiguity, and be proactive.
- Understand different areas of production and ability to articulate designs to all disciplines
- Exceptional collaboration, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills; then the ability to accept feedback, adapt to it, and improve
- Strong team spirit, personal initiative, flexibility and a sense of humour. Intellectual hunger.
- Curiosity about game design to experiment with gameplay mechanics and ingredients
- Worked for a mobile studio on free to play games; >3 years’ experience as a game designer
- Shipped 1 mobile game in level design role, with preference given to using Unity technology
- A Level Design portfolio demonstrating your work, preferably in-engine with videos and supporting documentation regarding their workflow and thought processes
- Familiarity with scripting will be considered an advantage
- Understanding of Agile methodology, plus familiarity with tools including JIRA, Confluence, Outlook, Teams, Miro, Draw.io, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Gdocs
- Follow existing Game Designs and work within the Team to implement Unity content
- Create, update and maintain documentation for a Hungry Shark sequel
- Intimacy and excellence with Unity. Generate excitement with and about your design ideas.
- Integrate into an existing team seamlessly and without ego to learn from their experience
- Be the day to day ‘go-to’ for Level Design and be able to provide, or find, the right answers
- Reporting to Studio Creative Director
Ubisoft FGOL offers its employees some great benefits which include:
- Flexible office working hours and up to 80% remote working
- 25 days of annual leave up to 30 with seniority + mental health day + partial Christmas break
- Swanky central London offices with all the extras you might expect
- Profitability bonus schemes across live, pre-launch and Ubisoft performance categories
- Exceptional 6%/9% pension scheme
- Best in class benefits including claimable annual £750 travel, £750 well-being, £500 mobile/tablet, £250 games allowances
- ‘We’re a games company’ - drinks fridges, pool + ping pong tables, games room, etc.
- Social events including weekly football, parties, quarterly company socials, team lunches etc
- Training budgets
- Private healthcare, reduced gym membership, life insurance, critical illness & disability cover
- Season ticket loan (for tube/rail costs)
- Home office furniture loan
- Childcare vouchers
- Recruitment Referral Fee awards